Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

nm 16e archery elk

Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Default nm 16e archery elk

Drew 16e archery elk. Looking for any info and past hunt experiences in this unit.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Default RE: nm 16e archery elk

There is elk in this unit. The surprising thing is they are out in the flat lands. They like to bed in the tall grass.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the info. We need a starting spot and all info is great. By all reports is a quality unit.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:00 PM

I got drawn for unit 17 archery. I live in the unit 16 area, have you been here before?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks Cranky for the reply. WE are from Missouri and will be totally blind other than help from the people that live in the area or by those who have hunted it in past. We"ll have some areas to check by reading maps. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM

As I wrote in a different area, a lot can depend of the monsoon season. Last year there was plenty of water on the Southern end of the units. The Northern end of the canyon (that will be to the West of your unit) did not receive as much water. Magdalena did not receive as much water as we did towards Monticello. Although, I did see a couple of nice bulls that were taken in the Magdalena area. I have a friend who traps for some ranchers in that area, I will ask him what he has seen as the summer progresses. I think the money that you guys have put out to come here to hunt, somebody should help you get pointed in the right direction. I know if it were me, I would appreciate it. Keep in touch and I will keep you updated. I am going to head up there this week.