Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk transplants

Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Default elk transplants

okay first off im from oregon lived there all my life but now live in mississippi as im in the military
i have been reading that oregon has been selling elk to other states to reintroduce elk into other states such as tennessee michigan wisconsin minnesota and a bunch of states.
i hate this idea!!!!!!!!!!!
why take elk and transplant them
before i moved i noticed over the last 5-10 years a drastic change in elk numbers in oregon.
i know people want to hunt elk in other states but damn come to a state that already has elk

Hunters stand up and stop the transplanting of animals
Old 06-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: elk transplants

it is the mission of Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation...has been and will continue to be...goal is to re-introduce them to lands they once inhabited....
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no expert on the matter by any means but I don't see what it can hurt. In fact I think it's great to have elk re-introuduced into other states. The people that are doing it are not morons. They only take elk from herds that can withsatand the population decrease. I hope all the states get huntable populations and then we won't be overcrowded with hunters here in Colorado. Hunters will also not have to buy out of State tags and save some dough. I see it as a good thing.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Okay well everyone has their right to believe which ever way they please!
In my opinion it is not right.
It is stressful on the elk and if the elk wanted to inhabit the other states they would go there.
Elk have the ability to move.
And if people want to hunt them they need to cough up the dough and travel to states that already have elk.

I may be biased to the situation because the areas in oregon that they take the elk from is where my family and I hunt.
I think others would be mad if trophy animals that you have been scouting all year all of a sudden disappear because they are transplanted.

And MTdream and Colorado Luckydog dont get me wrong butif the elk population in your hunting grounds was being eliminated then you would be b*tch*ng too.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel your pain but they do take them from Colorado also. I just think it's better for the whole big picture. I would love to see elk roaming all over the US. Another fact is, some people just don't have the money to travel to other states and pay the big tag out of state fees. I would love to see everyone of them without the money to travel get a shot on a nice elk.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

it would really be a bummer if the great state of oregon didn't have any elk, wouldn't it. could you imagine it if every other state that had elk had to transplant to oregon. besides don't they get the transplanted elk from farms????? if your state didn't have enough elk to transplant the then the game and fish dept. wouldn't transplant any. isn't oregon an over the counter state(you can buy an elk tag over the counter)wait until your state goes onto the lottery system and raises the price of all the tags not just elk. an elk tag will cost several hundred $ more for a non-resident tag than a resident tag, then you'd have to be drawn to go hunting. you should be proud that your state transplants elk to other states so our brother hunters can have such a majestic animal to hunt in their own state.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

crbaker, do some reading. Transplants have been going on for many years, and for the most part, have been very successful. The fact is, elk are plains animals,and primarily live in the mountains because they were pushed there and adapted many many years ago. Oregon elk numbers aren't suffering do to transplant programs. Do some more reading here.
http://www.outdoor.com/activities/hunting-activities/elk-herds-and-elk-hunting-in-the-us/
Old 06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: crbaker123

Okay well everyone has their right to believe which ever way they please!
In my opinion it is not right.
It is stressful on the elk and if the elk wanted to inhabit the other states they would go there.
Elk have the ability to move.
And if people want to hunt them they need to cough up the dough and travel to states that already have elk.

I may be biased to the situation because the areas in oregon that they take the elk from is where my family and I hunt.
I think others would be mad if trophy animals that you have been scouting all year all of a sudden disappear because they are transplanted.

And MTdream and Colorado Luckydog dont get me wrong butif the elk population in your hunting grounds was being eliminated then you would be b*tch*ng too.
crbaker,

Your outlook is way too simplistic and selfish. You're saying you want yours and screw the big picture. The reality is most of the elk herds in the western US are the result of transplants that occurred in the early 1900'sfrom the Yellowstone area...and that includesOregon!!! Now how would you like it if my ancestors in Montana had said piss on you Oregonians we're keeping the elk for ourselves? Modern day transplants usually come from multiple states if possible to increase the genetic diversity of the transplant herd, and they usually consist of multiple releases of just a few animals at a time. The other factor is that transplants generally consist mostly ofcows. Why? Simple, elk are polygamous so you don't need that many bulls for a foundation herd. The more cows you have in the population the more rapidly it can grow,and become self sustaining and hopefully huntable.Here's a link to information about theelk transplants to Tennessee so you can learn more. Don't worry, they came from Elk Island, Alberta. http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/elkquestions.html

Your argument that elk can just move is pretty much null as well. There's far too many human caused barriers to allow elk to legitimately migrate from the west to reasonable habitat areas in the eastern U.S. There's almost no way that a breeding herd of elk could have moved to say Kentucky which now has thousands of elk thanks to the transplants of just 1500 over a 5-year period ( http://www.rmefnky.org/kyelkherd.HTML), also mostly from Elk Island.

If somebody told you that the elk in your hunting area were all shipped off to another state they're pulling your leg. Most elk transplanting activity has actually been highly curtailed in the last five or so years due to increasing concern over chronic wasting disease.

Did they honestly capture and transplant the elk that you had "been scouting all year" right before the season? I don't buy that. Most capture programs happen in the winter or early spring time when the elk are herded up in their more accessible winter range. In the summer they're scattered all over generally higher elevation range that makes them hard to capture. Not to mention it's extremely dangerous for the young calves.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

I doubt if Oregon is just giving the elk away.States usually are paid cash or are traded animals they need.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Idaho and Kentucky traded elk for fish or whitetail deer or both I am not entirely sure what the trade was exactly but the elk are flourishing in KY and had been part of the game taken long ago but pushed out by human development, the elk will not go back through all the growth if we do not help them to do so!