Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Getting Ammo into Canada

Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Spike

Default Getting Ammo into Canada

Is it hard to get your rifle ammo into Canada? I know about having to fill out the forms for getting your rifle into Canada but someone told me they thought ammo was a problem.

I need to check with the airlines I'm flying but I figure the ammo will go as checked luggage and then I declare the ammo when I cross the border.

If anyone has any additional info please pass it along. Thanks

Old 06-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting Ammo into Canada

When you fill out the customs forms for your guns (prior to your trip) ask them if you should include the ammo. I imagine that would be the best way. I have not hunted Canada yet but the forms are merely to prove that you owned the guns prior to entering Canada so that you won't be hit with the excise taxes when leaving. Same should apply to the ammo.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Assuming you are using an outfitter why don't you call and ask them.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Linkwhich includes the form you need to fill out for bringing your hunting rifle/gun-non restricted (non-resident firearm declaration).
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

As far as ammo you can bring itwith you.. The amount and logisticsfor transporting,etcI'm not 100% sure on anymore. You can contact the above for this info &/oryour outfitter. I would also contact your airline if flying about their policies for storage of ammo.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Linkwhich includes the form you need to fill out for bringing your hunting rifle/gun-non restricted (non-resident firearm declaration).
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

As far as ammo you can bring itwith you.. The amount and logisticsfor transporting,etcI'm not 100% sure on anymore. You can contact the above for this info &/oryour outfitter. I would also contact your airline if flying about their policies for storage of ammo.
Customs told me that the only requirement was the registration of your NON RESTRICTED FIREARMS & your permit to posses the said firearms (I believe there is a small fee for this possession license. There is no restriction on ammo coming into Canada for hunting, but remember that if you are bring in extreem amount of ammo into Canada, they might deem it as not for hunting purposes then cause you a little grief. IF you keep the amount reasonable, there will be no problem with customs. Where you might come across some problems is with an Airline as most airlines class Ammo as an Explosive Material. Check with them and follow their instructions and you should not have any problem.

When you fill out the customs forms for your guns (prior to your trip) ask them if you should include the ammo. I imagine that would be the best way. I have not hunted Canada yet but the forms are merely to prove that you owned the guns prior to entering Canada so that you won't be hit with the excise taxes when leaving. Same should apply to the ammo.
This might have been correct in the old days, this is not the case any more. All guns must be registered in Canada, Restricted and non-restricted. You must also have in your possession a PAL (possession acquisition licence) or a POL (Possession Only licence) to have a firearm in your control while in Canada. You can obtain one at Customs when you cross the boarder (one year) or you can preapply for a 5 year licence which a little more money, but if you plan to hunt in Canada more often, it might be worth your while for the 5 year licence. In any case, it is best to have all the papper work sortede out before hand and ready for customs when you get there.

Good luck and I hope this helps.