Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Federal Nosler Partition vs Trophy Bonded Bear Claw >

Federal Nosler Partition vs Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Federal Nosler Partition vs Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default Federal Nosler Partition vs Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

I have several boxes of the Federal Premium 160 gr Nosler Partion in 7MM Weatherby Mag. My local dealer tells me that Federal has dropped the 160 gr Nosler Partition load in favor of the 160 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw round/bullet.

Might anyone out there have any insight or perhaps even experierience with Nosler Partition or the Trophy Bonded Bar Claw in this caliber? Primary use isfor Elk hunting.

Thanks,
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Federal Nosler Partition vs Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Both arefine choices for the 7mm and elk as the quarry. I have killed moose and elk with Nosler partitions in a rem mag (as well as other chamberings) and not a problem to report. I personally have never used TBBC's on game and onlyb/c they didn't shoot as well as other bullets did in my rifle. I doknow a guywho uses 160gr TBBC for deer thru moose in 7mm wby mag and he's been very happy.With most premium/solid constructed bullets 160gr/7mm bullets it usuallycomes down toacurracy when choosing,a numberof good choices for elk sized game.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 I too have used the 160 gr nosler partitions in my 7mm with zero complaints on elk. Have only heard good things about the bear claws. Pick which ever one shoot the most accurate

I am pretty sure Federal still offers them in both bullets. At least they did last time Ilooked on their website. Sounds like your dealer just wants to carry one of them. Can't blame him.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Spike

my son in law uses 165gr tbbc in his 30-06 for deer and elk, and kills both animals every year. i wouldn't hesitate to use either bullet if my rifle shot them accurately.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I have best results in my 30-06 with Federal 180 gr Barnes TSX. Great performance and better accuracy than Nosler.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:51 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I have best results in my 30-06 with Federal 180 gr Barnes TSX. Great performance and better accuracy than Nosler.
No offense, but your post has pretty much no bearing on the op's question...

According to the Federal website, their one and only load for the 7mm Weatherby is indeed a 160 grain Trophy Bonded bullet. However, it's the tipped variety, not the Bear Claw. While Bear Claws are tough bullets, they aren't very aerodynamic. Trophy Bonded's new tipped bullet should still be tough and is greatly improved in the aerodynamic department. I'm not sure, but I'd bet that the new Trophy Bonded tipped bullet probably has a higher ballistic coefficient than the Partition too

It's well known that individual rifles can have individual tastes. If your rifle shoots the new load well, it should work out well for you.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread and you are right about the 7MM. I only added my post because I was so surprised at the performance increase I achieved with my two 06 rifles using the TSX as opposed to Nosler and wanted to share.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM
DM

Between those two, i'd stay with the NP's for elk... They open a bit faster than the TBBC's, but still will give all the penetration you will need on elk... I like the fact that they open a bit faster, for those rib shots, or maybe you will want to take a deer while using that gun/load...

DM
Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are right Jason, the NP has been dropped. Somehow I skipped over the Weatherby part, silly me. So unless he wants to reload his own, he is out of luck on that front. The price you pay for having a rifle such as that one. Look at the big selection they offer for the regular 7mm win mag.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

You are right Jason, the NP has been dropped. Somehow I skipped over the Weatherby part, silly me. So unless he wants to reload his own, he is out of luck on that front.
He said he "already has the NP's", so i'd say he's ready to go right now!

DM

Quick Reply: Federal Nosler Partition vs Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.