Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Montana DIY BEAR

Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Montana DIY BEAR

I am planning a diy bear hunt spot & stalk in Montana it would be a fall hunt has any one did this hunt withgood% of luck thanks.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montana DIY BEAR

Montana fall bear season opens October-1-st. I recommend buying a 900-area antelope tag along with your bear tag if you drive out to montana. The 900-area antelope tag will allow you to take a Antelope in any game unit in the 300, 400, 500, 600 & 700-region with your bow.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are going to have a much better chance of success doing a spring bear hunt than a fall bear hunt in my personal experience.

No baiting or dogs are allowed for bear hunting in Montana so everything is going to be spot and stalk.

My family has always had the best luck hunting in the spring on old closed off logging roads when the clover is growing well. You'll put a lot of miles on, but you can generally find a bear. The trick is figuring out how big it is when you have limited reference points to compare the size of the bear with. Sometimes a bear you think is a monster ends up not being that big and a bear you think isn't that big ends up being a monster.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM

I was told that the bear in the fall are on a feeding frenzy geting ready for winter I don't care when i hunt them i am just trying to find out from you guys that know what ya''ll think. If i don't come at the right time in the spring when the bear are coming out of there dens i won't see any bear. In the fall they are all still feeding up ???
Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see blackbear every fall when I am bow hunting elk. Black bear are out feeding on huckelberrys in the late summer/early fall. I suggested picking up the antelope archery tag just to give you another animal to hunt while you are in Montana. I only hunt black bear in the spring. I stay focused on elk, mule deer & antelope in the fall.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the info have a great hunting season !!!!