Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Pics of another wolf kill, showing just how much they eat >

Pics of another wolf kill, showing just how much they eat

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Pics of another wolf kill, showing just how much they eat

Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pics of another wolf kill, showing just how much they eat

ORIGINAL: dc240nt

Canines usually eat the hind quarters first and will rarely if ever eat the gut. Cats on the other hand will go to the guts first. I've lived with wolves all of my 45 years and have yet to see a wolf kill that looked anything like your picture. I'm no expert and I'n certainly not defending wolved in the least. However, I believe you have a case of mistaken identity.

You mean like this??
I Pulled this picture from this topic (Big Game Hunting)on this forum and you can find it again DEEPER into the Big game hunting . This was a confirmed wolf kill very near sun valley ID. Where's the pic??

Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Spike

thats pretty wasteful. they should at least eat more of it
Old 04-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Wasn't a car kill. Road had just became snow free, so was not drivable when the elk died. Have been told that the chewed of nose was a sign of a wolf kill. No neck and back marks that I have seen on most cat kills. Could have been just due to winter, and scavaged on by smaller game, but the chewed up nose looked more like a wolf kill.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Poor Kitty...
Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm really suprised that cat didn't get more worked over. Wouldn't other cats eat each other? Either actuall committing to the kill or just eating ?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Canines usually eat the hind quarters first and will rarely if ever eat the gut. Cats on the other hand will go to the guts first. I've lived with wolves all of my 45 years and have yet to see a wolf kill that looked anything like your picture. I'm no expert and I'n certainly not defending wolved in the least. However, I believe you have a case of mistaken identity.
I gotta agree with this statement as well. Wolves will usually eat the hind quarters and move on to the next. Wolves take the best cut and leave, their pretty wasteful. Ravens, vultures, etc Is probably whats eating the guts on that elk. They also will eat away at the facial parts as well. How It died, one will never know but It sure don't look anything like a wolf kill what so ever. I'd say probably malnutrition (winter kill).
Old 04-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know it is funny to me.. Everyone states what the wolves generally eat.. Not true. There is plenty of supporting data to show different! Also there is evidence that they kill just for sport/training.....

Once again skeptics.. Check out www.saveelk.com

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: summit daWg

You mean like this??
I Pulled this picture from this topic (Big Game Hunting)on this forum and you can find it again DEEPER into the Big game hunting . This was a confirmed wolf kill very near sun valley ID. Where's the pic??

This is a predator and wolves do not kill them to eat them. They kill them to remove them from the area so they have less competition. I'm betting something else ate the guts and the wolves just killed it to remove the threat. They do the same thing with coyotes, other predators,and other single wolves that are in their pack's territory... As for the elk. I see no sign of struggle and no evidence to support that it was a wolf kill. Wolves can't drag an elk and I seen no where where the feet were digging and movingtrying to get away as the"wolves" held the deathgrip. Car kill vote from me too.WCl
Old 04-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Once again skeptics.. Check out www.saveelk.com

Been there many times. No skeptic here!

[/align]These are pictures of two different, legally shot wolves that were also killing livestock. These pictures give an even better idea of the size of these animals as both of these men are around six feet tall.

Imagine what a pack of 10 to 15 of these monsters can do to a herd of Elk. Now multiply that by 100+!

That is the issue we face now. Not the Native Timber Wolf (the very largest about the size of a German Shephard dog) that we are used to is it? These big boys have all but eradicated the Timber Wolf. Where are the environmentalists on this issue? Doesn't the Timber Wolf have protection?

The sad part is these animals have evolved in the Far North to hunt Caribu and Moose that are much harder to hunt and catch so their numbers were naturally held in check. But now that we have brought them down here with much easier to catch Elk, Deer and yes, even Bear, they are rapidly eliminating all mountain ungulate meaning it's only a matter of time till they turn on each other in a war of survival.

They didn't ask for this fate, we brought it on them by bringing them down here where they clearly ........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Single wolves in ther territory....such as the previously mentioned Timberwolf? As they state above.....where is it's protection?!

[/align]
Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

S Dawg.. Finally someone with serious understanding! I thought I was alone..

It is unfortunate, If you really want to hear a sad story call the Idaho Fish and Game and ask to speak with one of the biologists for the Clearwater area.. A huge area that used to hold thousands of elk, now we are in the hundreds.. A very bad program for the Idaho elk heard...[:@]

Quick Reply: Pics of another wolf kill, showing just how much they eat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.