Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk hunting book recommendations >

Elk hunting book recommendations

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting book recommendations

Old 05-18-2003, 08:10 PM

Default Elk hunting book recommendations

I' m a beginning elk hunter looking for recommendations for elk hunting books that address elk hunting strategies, migration patterns, habitat needs by season, etc.

Thanks!

Jim O
Old 05-18-2003, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting book recommendations

Recommend reading all the books on the subject you can and articles in magazines like Field and Stream. Jim Zumbo' s books are some that comes to mind.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing to do is hit your local library. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:41 PM

JimO,
A picture is worth a 1000 words. I went through a ton of books prior to my first elk hunt and was vastly disappointed with what they talked about versus what I found when I arrived in the elk woods. I' d recommend videos over books.

You don' t say what kind of hunting you' re doing, or who you are hunting with, so I' m going to talke a leap here and assume you are going to be hunting rifle elk on public land. Rifles make it easy but the public land part make it hard! If you are interested in archery, then there is tons of material that involve archery hunts.

The hard part is finding rifle elk on public ground -- film shot on Indian Reservations and private land make it look way to easy. It is not. So here are my recommendations.

For " ..... migration patterns, habitat needs by season....."
" Elusive In The Wild" -- Image West Communications -- 8 Dorchester -- Gunnison, Colorado 81230 -- absolutely thorough!!

For " ..... hunting strategies....." Paul Newsome-- Master Sportsman Series.....

" ELK CRAZY" : 3 Periods of Elk Season: The Rut, The Transition, Post Rut and strategies for each

" ELK LESSONS" : One hunt on Indian Reservation In New Mexico .... huge elk but way too easy. The other hunt in Wyoming on public land .... 5x5 and he has to bust his butt to get it (a little more like reality).

Kidnapper, Cochise, & Safe Stragegies!

I know it is not an " on point" response to your question, but it is the best answer I' ve found shy of experience and making mistakes and victories.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 05-19-2003, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the great recommendations. Your leaf of faith was a good one. I will be rifle hunting on public land.

Thanks again!

JimO