Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

308 for moose

Old 05-07-2003, 09:55 PM

Default RE: 308 for moose

....the one in our group that was killed with a .308 last year was just as dead as the one with a 300 mag....
A tired old refrain..... which means very little.

In a " Is this caliber okay?" discussion, it' s NOT the moose that are dead and nicely hanging in camp that count. The question centers on " what is the increased probablity of a wounded moose getting away when using a .308" versus some other caliber?

Perhaps a .308 IS fine for moose; however, ...
merely looking at two dead moose and declaring them equally dead is way off track and proves nothing towards the question at the head of this thread. To make such a generalization you need a statisticial sample size much larger than a mere " two" in order to draw a conclusion that can be held out as applying to a population of thousands of shot (but not necessarily taken) moose in any one year.

Applying that kind of loosey goosey logic without some sort of qualification one could say, " .... and the one that died of winter kill a month after we left camp was just as dead as the two we had in camp --- and it didn' t require a rifle of any caliber; therefore, any caliber even infinitely small will do." Which is also a crock.

308 MAY be an " okay" moose round, but certainly not on the basis of either one of those arguments.

Just for grins you may want to go to " Momentum vs Impact Energy" and check out the Taylor Index for an unbiased answer to the question, 308 has a 100 yard Taylor Index of 17.1 --- In any case....

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 05-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

....the one in our group that was killed with a .308 last year was just as dead as the one with a 300 mag....
Tired old refrain.....
In a " is this caliber okay" discussion, it' s not the moose that are dead and nicely hanging in camp that count. The question centers on " what is the increased probablity of a wounded moose getting away when using a .308" versus some other caliber?

Perhaps a .308 IS fine for moose; however, just looking at two dead moose and declaring them equally dead is way off track and proves nothing towards the question at the head of this thread.
I don' t have much experience with a .308 so I can' t really weigh in on this discussion but you took the words right out of my mouth EKM. I can' t stand the just as dead arguement, it really does prove nothing except that it is capable of killing in some instances but that is not the point. As hunters in a society that is getting more " sophisticated" hunting appears more and more barbaric to those who don' t know much about hunting. Wounded animals only add to that misconception. Using rifles that are better suited for the game we are taking is no longer an option, its a necessity for the survival of our sport.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Give thet boy a pat on the back an' a two bit ceegar! Now everbody read his post, an' lets do away with thet " jus' as daid" argument from here on out. Y' all are beyond thet crap now.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

I apoligize guys you are both right! I never thought of it that way! Both of the moose that were shot were under 100 yards little or no wind. and perfect shot placement both dropped like stones. under not so perfect conditions it ma have been different who knows?? you are right though that wasn' t a great comparison.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:32 AM

Syd,
Wow.
I' m impressed.
Don' t worry about it.
Move on from here.

EKM
Old 05-08-2003, 11:34 AM

I don' t think bigbull' s knocking the mag' s but he' s just saying some people aren' t suited for em. In my opinion if you can' t handle a gun big enough to do the job you shouldn' t be hunting that animal. The .308 will do fine. I' d personally go with the .338 or 7mm mag, but that' s me.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds good EKM will do I think what I meant in my original post was if you can shoot a .308 well it is capable of taking down a moose! and it is better to shoot a .308 well then some new gun that you aren' t used to and risk wounding an animal!

Syd
Old 05-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m going to say the .308 is fine for moose, throw a Controlled expansion 180gr bullet out there into the boiler room and all odds are that it' s going down (125+/-yrds). However, I' d say that if you want a rifle with comprable recoil, and a bit more stank, avoiding the magnum nominations, get a .45-70gov in a marlin 1895, especially in a 1895Cowboy (long barrel) it' ll reach out there and thump them hard, especially since you can hand roll them to such high powers in the new marlins, the cowboy gives you a lot more barrel to stabilize things and adds some velocity. And, contrary to what big bulls stated, the .45-70 is in EVERY store, in fact, almost all of those listed on BJ' s post are easily found at almost every shop I frequent, ranging all over KS.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

I think I will stir the pot some more cause it' s me. It' s not how much bang you got but knowing how to use the bang you got. You can drop a bull with a .22 cal. if YOU put it in the right place, you can drop a bull with a howitzer if you put within 20yds. of it.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:07 PM

I do not think it would be foolish, but i would suggust that you think about a muzzle loder in the .50 calliber area or a pistol, nothin' beats a classic ol' .45 colt

Quick Reply: 308 for moose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.