Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Attention! Houndsmen or Cat hunters be cautious of WOLVES! >

Attention! Houndsmen or Cat hunters be cautious of WOLVES!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Attention! Houndsmen or Cat hunters be cautious of WOLVES!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Attention! Houndsmen or Cat hunters be cautious of WOLVES!

I am from Montana and hunt species of all sorts. I do not own hounds myself but run with friends frequently. Here in western MT we are in a wolf delemma. Too many wolves with no management of any kind. We turned outthat morning on a freshlion track andit wasn't long before we were on a dead run. The dogs were seperated from us (out of hearing distance) for less than a half an hour. When we tracked their radio collars we found both were killed and one wounded. The wolves came from virtually out of no where, did their business and left. Both dogs that died were dear to their owners. There is no management plan on the wolves and they are multiplying rapidly making our big game numbers drop drastically. Please spread the word this is a terrible situation but something must be done. This is the eleventh dog to wolf encounter this year alone in our county. Most have resulted in death. This hasraisedquite a contraverse here close to hope hitting the paper and prime time news.I will try and get some photos uploaded asap. They are too large of a file. Thanks for your concern to raise wolf awareness!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Attention! Houndsmen or Cat hunters be cautious of WOLVES!

Up Here in Wi. bear hounds are considered wolf bait [:@]
RC
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Attention! Houndsmen or Cat hunters be cautious of WOLVES!

Most of the houndsmen here on the other side of the Bitterroots already gave up hound hunting because of the wolves killing their hounds. I feel for you. It was already a dying tradition, and this has all but put the final nai lin the coffin. People don't realize all the time and money that goes into a good bear or lion dog, not to mention the personal attatchments, and to have them brutally torn apart by a pack of wolves sucks. It will not be to long utill a person gets attacked, either trying to protect their dog, or a starving wolf decides aperson look like an easy meal.