Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 how to kill a bear quickly? >

how to kill a bear quickly?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

how to kill a bear quickly?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 AM

Default how to kill a bear quickly?

Hello,

I 've bought 150 acres of land in Southern Vermont. I live in DC. I stayed there for the first time last weekend. As my wife and I were unloading the car a bear came out of the wood. It looked at us for a few seconds then started to trot toward us. The kids were playing on the second floor of an old original barn, which is the only building on the land. As soon as I saw that thing running toward us I locked the car and we both run into the barn. I closed the door and we joined the kids upstairs.
From the window we saw that animal destroy the driver's door to get to the food that was in the car. As soon as he was done eating our food or the whole weekend it left. It took two hours. We no cell coverage I couldn't call anybody. I was furious that the camera was in the car. The animal was shot by a local a couple days later. 460 pounds.

I just can't deal with that. As of today I just don't feel secure there. I'm going to have a bunch of people helping me fix the barn, most of them students, and a few kids will be playing around.

I have inherited a 30-06 from my late father. I've shot that gun a lot at the range with him, but I never hunted or killed anything with it. Frankly, I'm not that knowledgeable about guns.

Is this the right gun to kill a bear?
A few precision. I'm not going to try to hunt bears and shoot them from 200 yards. Unfortunately I have a grimmer scenario that could happen. There is only 50 yards from the edge of the wood to the barn. I need a weapon that can kill a bear that will come out of those woods and start walking/trotting, running towards us. Most likely a front shot.
Is that savage 111 30-06 with a four bullet magazine the right gun to kill a bear before he can cover those 50 yards?
If now, what should I get instead?
A friend suggested a mossberg shotgun loaded with what he called brenekke?
Help!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to kill a bear quickly?

Forlan, welcome to the board and the outdoors . One of the worst things you can do is have food or garbage accessible to a bear.[:@] This is a bad mistake. Black bears are usually non aggressive and usually avoid people. Sows with cubs are to be respected. I believe the bear was more interested in the food than attacking you though. That 30-06 will do just fine with some 180 grain but even a mortally wounded bear has enough adrenelian to still attack you. Also trying to make a lethal shot on a charging bear with your adrenelian pumped and your heart racing is probaly not going too happen. A shot gun loaded with 00 buck may be better if your not too familiar with guns since all you have to do with a shot gun is point it as opposed to aiming a rifle. Probably the best defense is get some bear spray as this will stop a bear in its tracks and buy you some time.
If you make sure theres no garbage or food around, I doubt that you'll ever have a bear problem. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 03-15-2009, 01:34 PM

You're right. Besides I don't want to get into the minset of living with a gun ready to be fired, crazy!
I'm going to see if some kind of fencing can also be built around the barn.
Besides I've read that when I'll have a dozen people making noise and building stuff around it's very unlikely that a bear will try to approach the place.
I will definitely make sure that all food is locked and not giving out smell
Thanks
F.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

It sounds like you have described a bear that has gotten used to associating people with an easy meal. That is becoming more common these days. Bears generally have no desire to attack people. They are all about finding the best source of food the easiest way they can. I would not be to concerned of that kind of incident happening on a regular basis though.

I would make it a point to do a little target practicing each time I went to that property, bears do not like gunfire.
And it would give you the opportunity to gain confidence in your shooting ability.

Would a 30-06 be enough to stop a bear? You bet, bears are not hard to kill, but you need to place your shot just right if you want to drop him in his tracks. Either way once you put a round in him, he's going to have a whole new respect for you.

And just remember when you have a gun available, you are the BOSS!!!

Hope this helps.....I understand your concern, but it is not something you should let deprive you from enjoying your property.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Don't let this scare you off the property! You will probably never have a problem again, but yes, that .30-06 will do the job. If a bear is running straight at you aim center mass. Or if you can make the shot right into the head. I doubt you'll have a problem but it pays to be ready in case. Practice shooting when you are at the property and just keep your eyes open. Everything should be fine! enjoy the property!
-Jake
Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Having food in a container that will lock in the smell is very important. Also, don't keep any garbage on your property. Most places that have bears have special garbage contains to help keep out the bears. Here is a serious note. Bears are also attracted to the smell of blood. During those times when your wife or daughter(s) are experiencing that time of the month, I would burn the discard item in a burn barrel and burn it. Be sure to follow all the laws and regulations regarding burning.

I strongly suggest tocheck if there is a gun club in the area for some firearm training. If not, is there a neighbor that you trust who is well experienced in firearms? For a 30-06 on black bear I would suggest at least a180 grain bonded hunting bullet (a 460 lb bear is a good sized black bear). A bonded bullet holds together better and usually provides more penetration.

Your friend was most likely referring to a Brenneke shotgunslug. Brenneke shotgunslugs are harder than most shotgun slugs so you will get more penetration. If I was to use a shotgun it would be a 12 gauge in either aRemington 870 with a slug barrel or a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel.Be aware that a 12 gaugeshotgun firing a slug has a pretty healthy recoil/kick. I am well experienced in hunting and firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns). I have also taken NRA certified courses and some non certified courses. Personally, I would always have a loaded44 Magnum revolver on my side loaded with full power loads while on my property (follow all rules and regulations concerning firearms) in addition to the bear spray asyou may not always have the 30-06 on you. Be aware of the wind if you use a bear spray.

BE SURE TO GET PROPER TRAINING IF YOUHAVE A FIREARM AND PRACTICE! ALSO PRACTICE WITH THE BEAR SPRAY!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:19 AM

Thanks all of you for your good answer.
I do have a lot of practice with that gun, on bottles, pumpkins and at the range. I'm pretty accurate with it at 40 yards without a scope. It's just that I've never used it under stress, like having a bear charging me for example! Ok, but all the advice makes sense. I believe that was a once in a lifetime incident, but better be ready than sorry. I'll keep the gun ready, by some spray and work on a fence while enclosing trash and food properly.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

If you have electricity on that property and a fence is what you are considering, Then I would suggest an electric fence. That would be less expensive and more effective. Bears respect an electric fence.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

bear spray might be a handier option that you could carry more often...

I'd call VT fish and game....see about what rights you have as a landowner, you may shoot a beer and end up in court! certainly don't want to be attacked, but may get an idea of what to do, what's legal etc..

Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Forlan,

I work in DC, live in Alexandria. If you see any more signs of bear on your property, I'll be happy to drive up there and take care of them for you. In hunting season of course.

If I were going to shoot a bear, I'd use a .3006. From the situation you described, I'd retreat to the barn and shoot it from the elevated location while it was molesting your vehicle. However, if it is charging you and you cannot escape to the barn, a rifle would not be the best thing, particularly if it has a scope. If I were really concerned about this, I'd buy a mossberg 500A 12 gauge. You can find them used for around $200. Load the first three rounds to be fired with 00 buck shot, the last two with rifled slugs. That way if you can get to the barn you can just rack the first three rounds out and shoot it from a distance, but if you can't get to the barn you have three rounds ready to go that you don't have to aim carefully.

Quick Reply: how to kill a bear quickly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.