Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 MT archery elk suggestions? >

MT archery elk suggestions?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT archery elk suggestions?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default MT archery elk suggestions?

I know the general tag deadline is approaching and I'm considering how badly I want to apply/hunt elk this fall, already hunting antelope in WY...more than likely, I have the points.

have read about the quality elk in central/eastern MT, would be looking to do a DIY archery hunt more than likely if anything. My question is anyone have some public land area suggestions or perhaps private land perhaps in the block management program or trespass fees?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MT archery elk suggestions?

There is pretty good Elk hunting in Region 4, but it's big country so you'll need to plan ahead. There are also block management properties in this region. Block management reservations are not allowed before August 15.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Some of the best elk hunting in Montana is in the Powder River area and also near Fort Peck Reservoir. The elk near the reservoir are pretty wary but the Powder River near Broadus is where I would go if I could get a tag. We used to go mule deer hunting out there and would always see lots of big bulls, they dont see much hunting pressure.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your going to be hunting quality bulls on public property there , just be prepared to put up with the people traffic also. Just be in in shape to get away from it and deal with a kill in getting it back in time when temps reach 110f during the day and then at nights you'll freeze your ass off during the bow season.

Bobby
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, I've lived in Montana and I never saw it get to 110 degrees...must be warmer near the Canadian border ...on the other hand, when I archery hunted Nevada last year, it did get to 101 degrees...no kidding!