Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Newfoundland Moose Outfitters >

Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Spike

Default Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

I have some guys wanting to go moose hunting in Newfoundland: would liketo hear from my fellow hunters on there hunting trip & experiences, What outfitters wouldyou recommend and would not. Thanks guys
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

there are some good outfitters reports on bowsite.com also alot of news lately about anyone trying to get into Canada with a criminal conviction even a DUI so make sure thats not an issue with anyone.I know a group that got to the border and had to leave one guy behind
Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Spike

I went last Oct with an outfit called Mountain Top Outfittters, they have 2 camps, I was at the one near South Branch. There are plenty of moose there! There was 5 in our camp, only one didn't get one because he was wanting nothing smaller than 45". Here's their info= Art & Deb Ryan at 709-955-2804 or 2500, e-mail=a&[email protected]. web site= www.mountaintopoutfitters.ca . Tell them Mike from Indiana referred them. Price is reasonable=3500 and they treat you swell! If possible, DRIVE, I went by myself and flew, it was OK, but to many bottlenecks at the airports. No problem getting rifle into Canada, just fill the forms out ahead of time (you can get them on-line). If you really get serious, my e-mail is [email protected], I can give you more on the trip. Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Spike

I'm heading up this September with Newfoundland Wildnerness Outfitters. Did a lot of research and liked what I heard and read about Ray Saunders. Also looked at Moose Valley Outfitters but I wanted a combo hunt for bou and at the time they didn't know if they would have tags or not.

You may want to look and post a message on http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=
There are more east coast guys who head to Newfoundland and they post there. I talked to a couple of guys over the phone about the hunt and they were very helpfull and had heard about the outfitters I chose. They were not on his reference list.

Anyways good luck
Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went in 2005 with two buddies. Had a great time.

Many things you must know.

Take knee high rubber boots. Gortex type boots are not high enough and will get water logged eventually. That means they will get heavier. I wore LaCrosse Alpha burly uninsulated boots with great results.

Be prepared to do lots of walking. The terrain up there in different. It is soggy and wet. It is almost as if the grass and sod are floating on water. when you step, a small puddle will form around your boot. Your feet will sink in a couple inches with each step.(Unless you step in a moose track. In that case, you will go up to your knee)This requires you to lift your leg higher for the next step. This wears you out quickly. YOU WILL GET TIRED OF WALKING! The terrain isn't that steep, its just that sinking and lifting your legs higher that does it.

Take good quality rain gear. The cheap plastic type stuff will be ripped to shreds in seconds on that black spruce. What is black spruce? It is like thesesmall, stunted, little pine trees with twisty, knarly roots and limbs that grab you and trip you as you try to walk through them.

Go with the intentions that this is a meat hunt, not a trophy hunt.

Yes, there are many moose taken with nice racks, but most are much smaller. Many don't even have pamation, just a few points.

Don't get me wrong. There are lots of moose and even some nice ones but there are many more small ones.

I went with this outfitter

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/index.html

It is a fly in camp. He operates about a dozen camps.

Be prepared to have a good time.

Take a camera. You can see for miles up there. For some reason the air is much clearer and not hazy.

Any questions, I'd be glad to tell you of my experience.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I went 3 years in a row 2003-2005 with Snowshoe Lake Hunting and Fishing out of Millertown NL. I chose woodland bou but we saw many moose too. They do lots of moose hunts there around the first 2 weeks of October and have very high success callingthe big bulls in. Like Windwalker said the walking is very difficult and wears you down.Footwear andgoretex rainwear are most important for your comfort. I too chose LaCrosse 18" Alfa Burleys. Lots of rocks everywere and they are real slippery so an agressive tread is important. I think Snowshoe still offers combo bou/ moose hunts so if you have some extra days that might be a great hunt. I wouldn't recommend a combo for a 5 day hunt however.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Spike

Thanks guys....we are still shopping looking at blue mountain outfitters ?
Moose $3500.00 + 6.5% tax total $3727.50 US We will be putting a deposit down soon haven't made our minds up yet (I will post it here).all the outfitters that I have talked on the phone or E-mail have been great, that's making it tough!! .

Please keep the information coming,Great infofor anyone planning a hunt in newfoundland (Moose,Bear or Caribou). The Outfitter,lodging and the correct equipment is a must to know ahead of time. Being prepared & research can make the difference for an enjoyable successful hunt. we are not looking for monster racks... but 30" to 40" would great with us. I hear moose meat is great,looking foreword to trying something different. "I think I'll hit the treadmill now" [:@] Thanks Again Wil

http://www.bluemountainhunting.com/
Old 03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Spike

Windwalker, I see the picture of that great moose where did take it newfoundland?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Spike

One other recommendation, via experience I had. My guide & I were going thru the black spruce up a mountain side, I was literally taking one step in between trees, then reaching in with both hands and pulling myself thru, when all of a sudden I felt something give, it was my rifle sling, pulled in half where the neopreme pad and webbing joined. NOT FUN! I gave the guide my safari stix to carry and I had to hold the rifle in one and swim (pull) with the other. So, make sure you have a sound sling!It was one of the most memorible stalks ever. Oh yes, I did get the moose.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine hunted Newfy in 2007 and went with Victoria Outfitters. Both of them killed bulls and said they had a blast.

Quick Reply: Newfoundland Moose Outfitters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.