Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.270 Weatherby for elk?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Spike

Default .270 Weatherby for elk?

Would my .270 Weatherby be a good choice for elk or should I use something that can fling heavier lead? I also have a Rem 7mm Mag.

If it is ok to use the Weatherby what grain bullet would you recommend?

First year with my Weatherby and I find it a heavy gun to shoot. All my other rifles are lighter and I am not "yet" use to the weight difference. Because it is heavier I found it tougher to hold the crosshairs as still as my other rifles. Is that common with a heavier rifle? I would have thought it should be easier.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .270 Weatherby for elk?

The 270 Wby with a good bonded premium bullet will work great on elk, but if you are having trouble shooting it accurately I wouldn't use it. Esspecially if you have another acceptable rifle like a 7 mag you shoot well.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, if you can shot your 7mm better, use that instead. The 7 mag is a personal favorite of mine. If your wondering about the 270 on elk, a heated debate is going on in another thread some good infoif youread between allthe lines. The weatherby has more speed which helps and will do fine if you wish to use it. If you like the Weatherby take alittle timeto get use totheweight, Ive generallyfound the heavier guns I personally can hold more steady than a light rifle in hunting situations.Then again, is the extra weight worth it to be carrying around in elk country?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Spike

The 7 Mag I have was my dads that was willed to me. I've always used my synthetic .280 and have killed 2 elk with it. I haven't used my dad's 7 Mag because I didn't want to scratch it up and I forgot to mention that it is a BAR 7 Mag and probably as heavy as the Weatherby. I'll bet close to the same weight. I agree 100% that a smaller cal. that you can shoot accurate is further ahead than a bigger cal. that you can't shoot accurate. To be honest, the gun I am most accurate with is my Win. Mod. 70 in a .270.

The other factor is I've seen the BAR jam. The Weatherby bolt won't have that problem.

I guess I'll just have to dig in the piggy bank and shoot the Weatherby more. I've been a little hesitant at about $2.25 a shot but if I'm going to the expense of an elk hunt spending a couple of hundred dollars shooting will be a wise investment.

If I go on an elk hunt it may be my last and I will probably go with a guide and horses. I am even thinking about buying a shooting stick or bi-pod.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Droptine

The 7 Mag I have was my dads that was willed to me. I've always used my synthetic .280 and have killed 2 elk with it. I haven't used my dad's 7 Mag because I didn't want to scratch it up and I forgot to mention that it is a BAR 7 Mag and probably as heavy as the Weatherby. I'll bet close to the same weight. I agree 100% that a smaller cal. that you can shoot accurate is further ahead than a bigger cal. that you can't shoot accurate. To be honest, the gun I am most accurate with is my Win. Mod. 70 in a .270.

The other factor is I've seen the BAR jam. The Weatherby bolt won't have that problem.

I guess I'll just have to dig in the piggy bank and shoot the Weatherby more. I've been a little hesitant at about $2.25 a shot but if I'm going to the expense of an elk hunt spending a couple of hundred dollars shooting will be a wise investment.

If I go on an elk hunt it may be my last and I will probably go with a guide and horses. I am even thinking about buying a shooting stick or bi-pod.
You may want to look into reloading. It really take alot of the price per round out the first hundred may run you a little more but when you get to your second round it will be about half the coast of factory.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Weatherby loads.... some 150gr Nosler Partitions which would probably be the best choice of their loads...

though even their 150grSP would work too.

140gr nosler accubonds, and 130gr barnes tsx would also get the job done I think.

Why not use your .280 again? either one, that or your .270wby will do the job though.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Droptine

Does it jam in cold weather? Have you tried Mobil 1 in 10-30? Seriously, it works. A good fullsynthetic motor oil is the only lubricant I use, and it has worked well.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your .270 Wby. Mag. will do the job. Use the Weatherby 150 gr. Nosler Partition that Salukpv1 suggested. Good luck.