Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wyoming antelope in area 90 >

Wyoming antelope in area 90

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming antelope in area 90

Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wyoming antelope in area 90

I sent my applacation in for area 90 Wyoming antelope its my first time sending so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get drawn but I think they dont post the results until July 10th does anyone know if thats correct? Also anyone else send for a Wyoming antelope? If so what area?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wyoming antelope in area 90

That sounds about right. I don't remember the actual date I received mine but here's the reason it takes so long from Wy F&G Dept. I'll take a look at my tags when I get home.
<The actual drawing only takes a matter of hours. It''s the preparation for the drawing that takes time. Wyoming is a state that has numerous drawings for numerous species. Since Wyoming law allocates certain percentages of licenses to residents and nonresidents, those drawings are conducted separately, and have their own separate application periods and deadlines. We feel we must allow ample time to apply for licenses, so depending on the species, most application periods are a month or more. Since it seems to be human nature to procrastinate, most of the applictions do not reach us until the last week of the application period. We also need to have seasons and quotas set before drawings can be conducted. Since we are a state which periodically gets harsh winters, we do not set seasons and quotas until after the effects of the winter on game populations are known. The season setting meeting is usually the first week of May. We make an exception to this for the nonresident elk drawing which takes place in late February, in order that nonresident may know their status in the elk drawing before applying for other species. However, because the drawing is held before seasons or quotas are actually set, we must be extremely conservative. After seasons are established, we must also allow time for regulations to be printed, so successful applicants can receive a copy with their license. Before a drawing can be conducted, the following must take place: applications must be processed seasons and quotas must be set application information entered on computer system Regulations printed The drawing is then held. Successful applicants receive a license. Unsuccessful applicants receive refund warrants.
From the time the actual computer selection takes place it normally takes about a week or less for licenses and warrants to be printed and mailed.>
http://gf.state.wy.us/support/faq/index.asp?faqid=3#7
Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Been applying for a few years now....I think I'm due to draw....this year.

Check your drawing odds....that'll give you a strong likelihood if you'll draw this year with 0 pts....though with this economy hopefully draw odds will be higher this year...

Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Hope the draws swing your way.I put in every year for Wyoming antelope, works out to draw about every 3 years in the areas I put in for. I put in various units around the state, depends on the year. If you stay in or supply up in Farson, stop at the general store at the 4 corner intersection (last I was there it was still open acouple years ago), after a hot day out in the sun chasing antelopethe ice cream cones they make hit the spot.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Spike

What are of Wyoming has the best trophy potential?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

The red desert which is the southern central wyoming area....is said to be the best zone in WY. I think it certainly use to be and still produces alot of big boys, though I think draw odds are pretty bad for those zones. Other areas are hit/miss, ay area with 100% draw means alot of private land/low access or bad quality or both.

Pick up an Eastmans' or Huntin Fool Magazine they go over all the units etc...

I think just about any area can produce a big boy in WY though, its all about drawing odds, and public access etc..

One thing you can do too is B&C has a trophy search engine if you subscribe to them, you can look up counties for B&C bucks in the last 5years 10 or whatever you search....can be a tool to figure out what areas are hot...

I think the top Sweetwater and Carbon Co. are the hot counties....Fremont and the one east of there are the top 4 I think....

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Spike

Thanks salukipv1for the info.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM

The best chance for a trophy goat is in Arizona.
But since we have more lopes than people . . . you have a good chance in most areas of getting a nice 14-15" lope. Glass from a high spot, chack near water holes/streams/tanks, also game trails at fence crossings. Lopes go under fences, not over. So they will use the same "fence crossing" time after time. In all the years I have hunted antelope, I can count on three fingers all the lopes I have seen jump over a fence.
You should also go to the "Public Land" link on the Wyo G&G site. Walk-in, HMA's, etc are listed there. They are private lands that allow public hunting (if you follow their rules!)
Good luck!!