Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolf hunting

Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wolf hunting

Looking for any stories and pictures of your wolf hunt and recommendations of where to go.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wolf hunting

No stories or pics but I did see one late at night coming back from camp while Bear hunting with All Terrain Bear Hunts in Thompson Manitoba. His camp is 40 or so miles outside of Thompson on a beautiful lake.

They haveWolf only packages available along with Bear or Moose combos.

www.atbh.ca

Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot two wolves, both in Alaska back in the 1980s. I'll definitely be applying for a wolf tag if Idaho offers non-resident tags.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 AM

If Idaho gets around to bein' allowed to open a season on 'em, I'll definately be goin' to North Idaho to bag one. Unit 10 or 15 I think would be a good starting point.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

It will be tough hunting for them here in Idaho. Lots of cover and terrain to hide in, they will turn nocturnal, and they are smart. When I first started running into them 7 years ago or so they would stand around and look at you, now they take off right away. I think some of the local good old boys have already been giving them an education. I would like to have a nice big old wolf rug for the wall though. I think I would try predator calling for them, or find a travel route they use, and set up a blind on it, that would probably work best for hunting them. They seem to be quite vocal, as I have been able to get them to talk back to me on several occasions.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 AM

I'd be afraid to predator call for them! Unless I had my back against something really solid!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I hear you. I go predator calling by myself sometimes, and usually get nervous. It's better with a buddy who can see what's behind you. I seem to call more in when I have someone with me, when I am by myself I am always moving my head around trying to look to see what's behind me, that movement has scared off a couple yotes over theyears.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Calling will probably be your best bet for bringing them in. They're pretty timid so I wouldn't worry about them coming in for blood and going after you. I called one in just by mouth howling at it and I shot another when its pack just blundered into the area I was moose hunting. They're hard to target specifically because they range through such big areas and they're awfully smart. Good luck.

AK Jeff