Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Rivers West Raingear

Old 01-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Spike

Default Rivers West Raingear

I'm heading to Newfoundland for a bou and moose hunt and need some good raingear. Has anyone tried Rivers West? I'm looking at the Stalkers Pants and spicer jacket.

It's there light wt, no insulation line. The warrenty is better then Cabelas MTO line and I've read a couple of good reviews.

Any additional info would be great. Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Spike

Default RE: Rivers West Raingear

I just bought a set of the stalker bibs and jacket to deer hunt with in Ohio. So far I love them. I used them for late bowand gun season. They are absolutely water PROOF not water resistant. Lots of pockets, stretchable, quiet and high quality materials. I don't regret buying them. The only down side I can think of is price, they are expensive. Ihave not used all of the hunting rain gear out there but Rivers West has got to be with the best of them.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 AM

I have the ambush jacket, and the back country pants. I used mine moose hunting on the alaskan pein. with non stop rain. The ambush is heavier than the spider but still light enough for warmer weather. They deffientlyare worth the money, I am planning on buying the H2P bibs forcolder weather hunting for next year. P.S. they are 100% water prof. but they do not breath well, so dress in light layers. there is no need for bulk because they are wind prof. Good luck and good hunting!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have rivers west jackets and pants, they work great and they are waterproof. I have stood in trentual downpours in them and never got wet. They are also very quiet along with be less like to bur or rip like alot of rain gear. You can walk through some serious brush with out being concerned about rips. That comes with a warning though. Rivers west works better out west where its dry. Meaning not humid! It can get moist on the inside of the jacket in high humid situations because they dont breathe that well. When i hunt out west its not an issue at all, i can walk all day, but when i whitetail hunt in the east the humidity can be an issue. The jackets come with a lot of zippers to open under the arms and such, if your walking in a humid environment i suggest you leave those open. Dont get me wrong, its probably the best rain gear, I know outfitters that swear by it over sitka and all the others, but the humidity can be a issue. I dont know how bad it is in Newfoundland, but i hunt in Virginia for whitetails and its an issue if i have to walk alot.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own several garmets. I lived in Western Washington State and the rain is heavy. Let me tell you, it is the only rain gear I will ever own. And it is Guaranteed, and comes with a 10 yearwarrantee !!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Spike

I have hunted Newf. on three occasions. I have adopted the same raingear that most of the guides wear. It's the same stuff that is worn on commercial fishing boats. Rubber bib overalls, rubber jacket, rubber boots. Yes, it can get a bit warm, but that is made up for by the fact that you can get into and out of them very quickly. Just about impervious to brush as well. Just remember, get the good quality rubber gear, not the cheap plastic crap.
I figured that these guys make their living in the brush, and they should know what's best.They do.
I have never gotten wet while wearing this rig.
Just my $.02 worth.
You WILL have a ball.
Best of luck in Newfy.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in the market this year and almost bought the Rivers West. If you are looking at other options, the Rutwear is also a good choice. I used the midseason 1/4 zip jacket and midseason pant and stayed dry through a 36 hour downpour in the back country while elk hunting. They too are bonded fleece with the same properties as Rivers West. I know thateither will hold up to the test...........