Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need some help on where to hunt elk >

Need some help on where to hunt elk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need some help on where to hunt elk

Old 12-16-2008, 09:30 PM

Default Need some help on where to hunt elk

I am currently a college student at sdsu in South Dakota. A few of my friends and I want to take a trip next year as it will be our last year at school and we are looking for a place to go elk hunting as a last sort of hunt together. None of us have ever been on a elk hunt so I am hoping someone would give me a little help on where would be a good place to start. I have been trying to do some research and find a good place to go. We have been looking at places such as Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. I am completly clueless and was hoping for a little guidance on where we could go on a public land hunt and have a chance of success.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need some help on where to hunt elk

Bow hunt? MT....central/eastern...

Maybe ID....

Those would be my 2 states.....closeby....great elk,OTC tags or near 100% draws for bow if not OTC....

Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Spike

Your options are somewhat limited because most of those listed are drawing only. Colorado and Idaho areprobably the only good options for over the counter type licenses. And you have to be careful about some areas in Idaho due to wolves lowering the elk population. That proably leaves Colorado as you best option.

How much time can you take off school to hunt. A basic elk hunt would involve getting to the area a day or two before the season opens, the hunt would take a minimum of 4 to 5 days, then the trip back (minimum of a week total). Then you have to figure time to get an elk out of the woods. How were you planning to get a big animal from 3 to 4 miles off road to your truck (on your back on with horses)?

As far as a specific place in Colorado, the Colorado division of wildlife is a good place to start. Most areas for bowhuting are OTC. Another good choice would be the first rifle season, but you have to put in and draw that tag. However, many areas can be drawn with no points, just have to do some research. If not, the 2nd and 3rd seasons are mostly OTC.

Good luck
Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks guys that gives me some stuff to think about. I would like to bow hunt but it might have to be a rifle hunt. As far as getting the elk out we would have to do it the hard way. With fouror five guys we should be able to handle it by quartering it out and walking out with alot of work but i think it would be worth it.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you could hunt right there in SD if you wanted to. It's easy to get a cow tag, but you're probably wanting a bull and the bad thing about SD it is, if you want a bull, your chances are slim and none of drawing a bull tag for rifle season your first time. Colorado or Idaho is where I would go.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Colorado bull OTC second or 3rd season.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:20 AM

I havebeen applying for an elk tag in sd for 4 years now and I think it will be a while before i do draw here. It sounds like colorado or idaho is what you guys are thinking any tips on what part of the state? Does colorado have a pretty good amount of public land? And is the second season alot harder to succeed than the first season or is there not alot of differance?

sorry for all the questions
Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

I'd go to Idaho...there are plenty of areas to hunt where the wolves haven't taken over yet.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

If all 4 guys bowhunt....I'd turn it into a bowhunt in ID or MT during the rut...

Otherwise a rifle hunt....I think CO is your only option for OTC rifle elk tags....

NM its possible to draw....as a party, your entire group is entered as 1 ticket, so if you guys are lucky and are drawn all 4 of you can be going somewhere great, there are no pref pts there, it would be a drive for you guys, you may consider applying as a party in NM for a great area....rifle....if you get lucky it could be a serious thrill!

It's only like 5 bucks to apply as well, less you're drawn....I think if I were you guys I'd put in for NM one of their best areas just as a "what if" possibility.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM

I am trying to do some more research and I looked on the New Mexico website and there are three types of tags. Standard, quality, and high demand. What is the differance with these and which one would I probably want to apply for.

Thanks for all the help again

Quick Reply: Need some help on where to hunt elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.