Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Online scouting services?? >

Online scouting services??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Online scouting services??

Old 12-09-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Online scouting services??

Any of you use one of the "online scouting services"? Worth the money? ($300.00 - $800.00)
Also there are a couple sites that will sell topos and/or some Google Earth pics for a lot less. ($35.00 - up)
These are especially intended to "scout" for a non-resident who wants to DIY on public land.
Anything?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 PM

Default RE: Online scouting services??

I've kicked the idea around for a few future hunts I am trying to line up, certainly wouldn't rule it out...Sure would beat goin in blind if nothing else.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

download "google earth". its free and gives you topographical, aerial, and 3 dimensional landscape shots. Its great adnbest of all its FREE
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM

I would be careful for what you pay for via those online services. Three is a guy out of Denver area who claims to be an expert on elk and deer and offers this service. Says he personally scouts the area you are thinking of, then sends you maps with areas highlited where he saw game, good camping site, etc.

He does no such thing. I know a couple guys who have used his service. He posted pics of elk or deer he had taken supposely in the areas in question. Come to find out they were not his animals but friends animals he possed for pics with. Only elk he ever shot was a ranch permit permit he shot from his truck, rancher used loader to load it up for him.

On our DIY hunts, we have found you can whatever map you want from other services. Then talk to the state DNR you plan on going to, they offer some of the best info you can get.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM

LOL!!!!!

ORIGINAL: NeSandhills

I would be careful for what you pay for via those online services. Three is a guy out of Denver area who claims to be an expert on elk and deer and offers this service. Says he personally scouts the area you are thinking of, then sends you maps with areas highlited where he saw game, good camping site, etc.

He does no such thing. I know a couple guys who have used his service. He posted pics of elk or deer he had taken supposely in the areas in question. Come to find out they were not his animals but friends animals he possed for pics with. Only elk he ever shot was a ranch permit permit he shot from his truck, rancher used loader to load it up for him.

On our DIY hunts, we have found you can whatever map you want from other services. Then talk to the state DNR you plan on going to, they offer some of the best info you can get.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Gangly

download "google earth". its free and gives you topographical, aerial, and 3 dimensional landscape shots. Its great adnbest of all its FREE
Yeah, Google Earth is very cool, but that doesn't put you on animals. Sure, pick a saddle, drainage, north facing slope with a bench, but the elk are where you find them.

I'm thinking about starting a service for the non-resident DIYers and was looking for feedback from those who have (or know someone who has) had a good or bad experience.

Time is the test of any outdoor service, along with their testimonials. I think I have an idea that will fit all pocket books and most importantly, help put "strangers" onto big game.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:10 AM

Elk really move so much, especially when they get shot at a time or two. The herd I finally got patterend this year, and killed a cow out of, wouldn't even get up until 10 minutes until dark and they were in bed before you could even see in the AM. They were bedding halfway up a scree-slope mountain and there was just no way to go to them there. Lots of people were hunting the area, but none were seeing elk. Everyone was physically so close, yet so far from elk. I can't believe DIYer's (that don't have a few weekss) are ever successful to be honest. It's a tough game.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Amen to that!

Since my passion is archery season, I guess I assumed I would be catering to them more than the pole smokers.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Spike

I use a few of the on line map services that are free even for areas I know fairly well. A lot of the counties in WI have websites as well with very interactive maps on them. May want to look at that as well.

Steve
Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Spike

I use a few of the on line map services that are free even for areas I know fairly well. A lot of the counties in WI have websites as well with very interactive maps on them. May want to look at that as well.

Steve