Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How big is this bear?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default How big is this bear?

K guys I'm sure you get asked this alot and normally I'd just let this be but I've gotten pictures of the same bear for 2 years in a row now and I was hoping you could give me an estimate at how much it weighs. Here are a few pics from last year and this year, oh and I should mention I found a fresh set of tracks that were easily 5" long and they were the front feet, the backs were longer, near where these pictures were taken. I'll include some pics of deer in the same spot as the bear for reference if i've got em.

Thanks for the guesses guys, sorry there's so many pics i just wanted to give you as much reference as possible, the reason i think it's the same bear is it's got the same noticeable tan/brown patch on the left side of his muzzle in all the sequences of pics ive taken these from. Thanks again!!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 AM

Default RE: How big is this bear?

Around 500llbs
Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

The bear looks like a sow In most of the pics, top pic might be a nice bore, hard to tell. Same one? Tough to say. The bear that had the 5" pad Isn't this bear. A 5" pad Is a biggin. I'm betting this bear Is In that 225lb to 250lb dressed range.

Nice looking bear!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, No where near 500lbs.. I agree with schultzy, looks like a sow, 200lb range.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

225-250...I dont think quite 500, i saw a black bear that went a little over 500 and it was BIG...the bear that left those big of tracks tho I think is bigger than this one pictured..
-Jake
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

200 max. I don't think it is a big bear at all. Looks like a young sow. Look at the back height as compared to the small buck feeding in the same spot.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

200lbs, looks like a sow. Look at ear size compared to head, how big it is in reference to vegetation, here is what a 500lb bear looks like. One my buddy took a few years back, I believe #6 or 7 all time in the book for Idaho.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:25 PM

I have outfitted bear hunts for several years and am still definately NOT an expert on sizing bears. The dark pictures are very difficult to see but the one bright daylight picture relays that he is a very nice mature animal. I am going to guess him between 300 - 375 lbs. The black bear is a decieving animal to say the least and it seems inherent to overguess them while alive, but in this case I thing if anything I have underestimated him.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like a couple different bear to me but I'm assuming that you're really only interested in the one from this year as that's the one you'll probably have most chance of getting.

I'm going to say it in the 300-350 range. Bear hunting was a big part of my childhood and I've seen bear from 100lbs to almost 500. So from my experience I again say about 325. A shooter no doubt
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say around 275, but it's hard to tell...

Quick Reply: How big is this bear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.