Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Shooting at moving targets? >

Shooting at moving targets?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Shooting at moving targets?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 AM

Default Shooting at moving targets?

Any brilliant ideas on how to practice (with rifle) shooting at a moving target?
I don't like to do it, it changes the flavor if you do, and most of the time means taking an unethical shot . . . but if a guy could practice those moving shots, it would dramatically increase his ethical sucesses.
I've been a wing shooter and have little trouble with ducks, geese, pheasant, etc . . . but try to swing a shot at a trotting elk or Antelope and NO WAY!
I've envisioned for instance, of taping a target (shoot-n-see) to a trash can lid and have somebody rollit accross my shooting path.
But I want to practice this shot, and am seeking any advice.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting at moving targets?

I've heard of folks using tires and rolling them with a target on them.

The trick is keeping the folks doing the rolling safe from richoets, etc.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

get some garage door cable or aircraft cable and a few cable clamps and turnbuckles and a couple of garage door pulley wheels. Hang the cable between trees or poles with a downhill angle and hang a target underneath the pulley wheels. You can rig up a release with a small steel clamp similar to a clothespin and a long string or light twine or rope. You can change the speed by changing the downhill angle of the cable. If you are sharp with the mechanics of things you could even rig a return pulley from your shooting station with a long twine or similar. You could also rig an automatic latch to catch your target when you get it returned to the high end.
Good luck.

Bugleward
Old 11-16-2008, 05:23 PM

try taking an old tire...............not the rim, just a tire...........cross the inside with duct tape.........put a ballon inside the tire , stick it to the tape , roll down hill....shoot. have a good back stop , be SAFE , and have fun.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:34 AM

Great ideas all! Thanking you.
Yeah......... safety is always first!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

have your buddy hold the target above his head while running..... just kidding!!!!! There was a range I used to goto that had moving targets at 50, 75, and 100yds. It changed my way of thinking when I could shoot .5" groups from a bench and when trying to hit a 10" steel plate moving at 5mph or so wasn't as easy as it looked at first.
I read an article years ago about getting a hunting license in Norway you had to hit targets at various distances, moving and stationary. You had to be able to put all your shots in the animals kill zone otherwise you were not able to recieve your tag. That sure would cut down on alot of wounded animals that's for sure.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

G4L,

No way, those animals aren't standing still for you? They're probably just trying to get out of the wind!

Though I practice much more wingshooting than I do with a rifle, it's only been the last few years and I still swing a shotgun the same way I swing a rifle (often resulting in a miss).

The last two deer I shot as well as the last elk were running, though the range was under 100 yards on all three. I can't scientifically say what the secret was (all three were dead on their feet), other than 1) confidence in my shooting skills, and 2) steady swing from behind with let-off (that's the catch) happening right about the time the crosshair passed ahead of the shoulder.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Shooting at moving targets is something that you either have or dont have from what I have seen. I have tried to teach my sister, and she just cant learn. She can keep sub 1 inchgroups all day off a decent rest at 100 yardsbut as soon as she has to move the gun she is off. When shoot at moving targetsI try to get an idea of the distance and the animals speed. Then you "pace" them with your rifle, lead them depending on speed and distance and then shoot while keeping the same pace. Ive shot 9 deer running, one I had to track, the others fell within sight. The only deer I have lost, was shot while standing still in a field. SO yes, it is doable, as far as practice, all good idea have been used.
-Jake
Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Try to get the game to stop before shooting if you rather have a standing shot. Hammer a cow call on a bull running away, many times he'll stop to look back. Theres your standing shot. Deer will sometimes stop before departing the area esp a Mule Deer. Ive also had some luck grunting to get them to stop to get a quick standing shot. Antelope, just learned its bestnot to get them running beforetaking a shot..Ive never practiced the theory of using a tire, but just as aboveheard of the tire trick being used.