HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   field judging elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/260838-field-judging-elk.html)

hank375 09-01-2008 04:02 PM

field judging elk

doesanyone has any tips on scoring elk in the field

salukipv1 09-01-2008 04:40 PM

RE: field judging elk

I have a knack for eyeballing elk, I think just looking at alot of them and knowing their score helps.

But their 4th point, their sword point....is easy to identify, then 5th, 6th etc...so using that method you can quickly determine whether a bull is a 5x5, 6x6 etc....

mass, width, main beam length.

You may want to know what you're holding out for, ie 300" + or 350+ etc....and knowing that base score, and not shooting anyting below that....so anything that looks bigger, take, and be pleaslantly surprised.

fishantler 09-01-2008 06:32 PM

-If all the points are at least 12" long on a 6x6 bull you are looking at a 300+ inch elk. (on average)
-Bulls are typically weak on either their third or fifth point. One small or missing point will kill a score.
-Lengthaddsway morepoints than more. The b&c scoring system sometimes dosen't do justice for heavy horn bulls.

For me it isa lotharder to score a bullin the field than ona wall or in a picture. Especially ifI amthe one pulling the trigger or releasingthe arrow. It is easy to get caught up in the moment. To me a trophy is in the eye of the beholder and who cares what some scoreing system says. Hope this helps.

sclwald 09-02-2008 07:07 AM

If he can scratch his ass with his 6th point he is a shooter! JK

The more elk you look at the easier they are to judge. I judge anything over 300 as big but other people wouldn't touch a 300 bull. As above mentioned a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. If you shoot a raghorn bull and work your ass of for him and pack him out on your back he is a trophy to me. It's all in the eye of the shoot..

Great suggestion to look at the G4 as it will stick out there on a good bull.Then the whale tail will tell you a good bull as well. (Split of G5 and G6)

Muliefever 09-02-2008 07:31 AM

I agree with sclwald on this one! If you see a whales tale and they can rub their ass with it.. You deffinately want to shoot that one!

BareBack Jack 09-02-2008 12:40 PM

For quick judging try this
Eye guards=as long as the forehead to nose tip
2nd point=just as long and curles
3rd poiny=atleast 1/2 the lenght of the 4th
4th(sword point)=double the length of the eyegaurd
5th =as long as the 3rd
6th=ifit passes his huanch(or ass)
7th=bonus
8th=bonus

Mass=bases atleast as big as a softball,mass at the 4th pointas wide as a your hand(if you have big hands all the better).
Now go look at all bulls you can find on the net.,Bowsite.com used to have a judging game in their interactive section.
Good luck
BBJ

npaden 09-03-2008 08:52 PM

Watch as many elk hunting shows as you can on TV.

They will generally give you the approximate score of the animal they shoot and it can help alot. Also sometimes they will comment on some of the ones they pass on and give an estimated score on those. The tactics are often not very useful as they generally hunt low pressure private land, but you get to see plenty of elk antlers to judge. There are a couple shows with public land elk hunting that can actually be useful though.

400" is a total monster that will have you falling all over yourself, there would be no doubt in your mind about if it was a shooter or not. For most folks 350" is a serious trophy on public land and you won't have much doubt on one of those either. For me personally 320"ish is what it is going to take to go on my wall as a full mount and that's a good solid 6x6 with good mass and decent spread. Tine length is important as previously mentioned.

300" will get you a 6x6 withdecent mass and a few short tines or a really good 5x5 with great mass and good tine length canget to 300" also. This would be a decent elk for most and I personally have never shot a bull elk so it would be hard for me to pass up any 6x6 or a good 5x5.

250" - 300" is going to be a weaker 6x6 and medium to weak 5x5's. These are going to have broken or very short tines and limited mass and spread. These still go on some folks walls but usually as a european type mount.

That's my basic laymans scoring effort.

I found this site that has quite a few pictures of elk with the score under the picture - http://www.kingsoutdoorworld.com/trophy-room/elk-bb.shtml

Good Luck.

hank375 09-03-2008 09:17 PM

thank npaden,
I'm not to bad at judging bulls in pics or mounts can get within 15 points ussually but from 500 yards its a different story.

sclwald 09-04-2008 07:06 AM

Judge this one for practice. I shot it two years ago.

sclwald 09-04-2008 07:08 AM