Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts >

Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 AM
bigcountry

Default Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Ok, I got drew for a cow elk (2nd Choice). I am waiting until my buddies get their results and for deer results. How does the preference points thing work? If I have to ask for a refund, do I keep my pref pt? If I go out this Sept. for cow elk with ML, do I still have 1 pref point?

Anybody know?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Yep you get to keep your preference point on a second choice, I drew a bull ML tag took 2 preference points
Redclub
Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

From Colorados division of wildlife's web site.

A primary tool used in the management of Colorado’s big game animals is a limit or quota on the number of licenses issued in most game management units (GMUs). When applying for a limited license, a preference point in awarded when an individual is unsuccessful in drawing their first-choice hunt code. Preference points provide a mathematical advantage when applied to future drawings.

If you hunt with your cow tag you still keep your preference point.

If you ask for a refund for your cow tagit must be done before your season starts. You still keep your preference point.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/75A4E687-F7B3-496F-BF49-4D60AC7F37CE/0/DOWLicRefund.pdf
Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since you drew your 2nd choice, you gain a preference point and keep all that you had....

pts only go towards 1st choice in colorado....since everyones 1st choice is considered before anyones 2nd choice.

If you ask for a refund however....I believe you will lose this years pref pts.....think you should call on that one, go for cow elk regardless and keep your pts.....
Old 06-11-2008, 05:34 AM

I found out that a person in our party got a cow tag as well. We should know Thursday who all got deer tags. This is my first year to go but, the party I am going with have been going every year for 20 years. i hope I get a deer tag. I want a Muley worse than an Elk.

Call me crazy!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
bigcountry

Well, thanks guys. This is the most complicated system I have ever seen. Hopefully, the other guys will draw deer or something.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

They're all complicated....and all different....which is fun when you apply to 10 states....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is complicated but if you know how to work it (believe me it can be worked) you will draw pretty much every year.

I am 5 out of six this year and I was five out of six last year.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
bigcountry

Well, this sucks, my buddy who was going out with me didn't get drawn on anything. I don't know what I am doing out there. My cow elk draw is statewide. So not sure if I am going or not.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plenty of great places to use a state wide cow license, if you decide to use it. Your buddy can probably get either a left over cow license or an over the counter cow license...I would certainly look before I gave up on it.

Quick Reply: Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.