Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Your opinion on best .270 load for long range. >

Your opinion on best .270 load for long range.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your opinion on best .270 load for long range.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Your opinion on best .270 load for long range.

I am curious as to what load everyone prefers for long range. I am looking for a factory load 130, or preferably 140gr bullet with a high BC for my .270. What is your opinion. Let me know.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Spike

Default RE: Your opinion on best .270 load for long range.

I don't shoot a 270, but I do shoot a 270 WSM. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

When I bought my 270WSM in 2002. There wasn't much load data available, So we had to play with a lot of loads over chrony's and traded info with others.

I found that the 140g bullets were not that much slower than the 130g bullets, IF you used the right powder. The difference in velocity was more than made up for
in down range energy because of the better BC of the 140g bullets. But the jump to a 150g bullet slowed things down enough that they didn't retain more energy than
a 140g down range. For me the 140g bullets had more energy than a 150g at 300 yards and shot almost as flat as a 130g. It was the best choice for me.
I used Barnes 140g TSX bullets

In your 270 WCF, I'd try the 140g Barnes TSX over RL-22. The Barnes manual shows that load at 3112 fps vs most of the 130g loads at 3130-3150fps. Of course you will need to see if the RL-22 load will group in your rifle. You didn't say HOW LONG RANGE you were looking for. If you choose the Barnes TSX, make sure that you have enough velocity at the intended range to mushroom the bullet. If you start a 140g TSX at 3100 fps it will still be traveling 2000fps at 600 yards. I wouldn't consider using this load for 800+ yard shots. You bullet just may pencil through. Of course I wouldn't consider shooting that far anyway.

I shot a 25-06 for a lot of years. I used the Nosler 120g Solid Base and Partition bullets depending on what I was hunting. I can't tell you how many deer and at least 7-8 elk fell to that gun shooting Partitions. If you don't like the Barnes TSX, I'm sure a 130g or 140g Partition would do just fine. The 130g bullet has been the standby for the 270WCF forever.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

In factory ammo 140gr Nosler Accubond loadedin Winchester Supremeand Federal premium lines would give you a BC of .496.

Hornady Custom ammo loads a 140gr SST that has a stated BC of .495.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

i have owned a 270win for 25yrs ,its about the only thing i deer hunt with. i load my own ammo and use 140gn bullets. like someone said above the 140's are almost as fast as 130's and most times will kill better. i've taken deer out to about 400yds with either hornady 140grn spbt or the seirra 140grn sp. if i were shooting factory ammo i'd by hornady.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:05 PM

i use a 270 for antelope and mulies. i hit an antelope at 420 with my 130 grain hornady and it just put him right down. i live in montana so we have a lot of long shots. Most of my shots are around 300 yards and that bullet does what its suppose to do. it keep most of the engery inside the animal when it hits em. I have noticed when that bullets hits, it fragments into a lot of pieces and does damage. i hit my buck a little high, but my bullet fragmented and just took out his lungs and heart and actually had some fragments in his kneck. I love that bullet.. its an ass kickin bullet and will bail you out if you make a semi poor shot.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Well if it's truly for long range, the best size bullet for ballistic coefficient, which equates to best downrange retained energy and least amount of drop would be a 130 grain bullet in a 270. (.277 inch diameter). Find a load tailored around that bullet weigh. Every gun will shoot every bullet/combination different, so while getting ideas here is great, remember that Joes gun will spit the same load out much differently than yours.

Federal makes some premium ammo with Barnes X bullets, Trophy bonded bear claws and a few others. I have had good luck with them. Heres the page.
http://glarp.atk.com/2007/2007_Catalogs/FederalPremiumCatalog.pdf
Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 PM

Just some further info.

I am interested in a good 140gr factory loadfor 100-600 yards. (someone was curious how long of range I was talking)

Also I shoot a Remington 700 Sendero.

thanks again.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

One that shoots best in you gun. You will have to try all factory loads. Each gun has their own mind what they like. Just like the rest of us. Each firearm may like one factory load better then another that is shooting the same cartiridge. My suggestion is to pick up a box of each and see how they group at 100yds. then at different ranges. Then also you may have to reload and taylor your own loads.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Spike

I'm afraid there is one somewhat misleading piece of information on ballistic coefficients contained in one of the posts. As a rule of the thumb, all other factors being equal, the higher the bullet weight for a given style of bullet, the higher the ballistic coefficient. I checked the ballistic coefficients for a large number of commercially available .270 cal (.277 diameter) bullets from manufacturers such as Barnes, Nosler, Swift, Hornady, Speer, Sierra, and others. Without exception, within a givenbulletstyle, the higher the weight, the greater the ballistic coefficient. Thus, 150 gr bullets had greater coefficients the 140 gr, which in turn had greater coefficients than 130 gr bullets.

Of course if you compare a 150 gr round nose bullet to a 130 gr spitzer, the relationship no longer applies. Also, as pointed, out there is more to long range performance thanballistic coefficients. Muzzle velocity, down range retained energy suitable for the game you are hunting, and other factors come into play.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

The bullet with the highest b.c. may not shoot well in your rifle. I have some friends that swear by 130 gr. core lokt's for deer at any range.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on best .270 load for long range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.