Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Horses For Elk Hunting

Old 01-10-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Horses For Elk Hunting

I am needing some advice on horses. What are some qualifications of a horse, to be used for hunting in the back country? What are good breed's? What are bad breed's? Are you able to take flat land horse's into the back country? Is a Draft horse a good choice? I am asking for a buddy of mine. I didn't think they were a good horse to use. I thought I would get some of your opinions. Thanks....
Old 01-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Horses For Elk Hunting

I sometimes run my dogs off of Tennessee Walkers. They also seem to do a fine job in the mountains. I don't know if they are considered "elk hunting horses" or not, but they've worked OK for me.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 01-10-2003, 03:10 PM

So they have been a sure footed animal? Do you ride them in the mountains often?
Old 01-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Don't really know if you would classify the areas we hunt wild chukar in as mountains. More like canyons. A lot of long "barrel roll" ridges surrounded by cliffs 300' - 3000' high. Very rocky terrain tht occasionally gets scary steep. Mostly in the breaks of the Columbia, Snake and Grand Ronde rivers. We've used them to retrieve the meat from elk we have shot in various places, and they do a good job. The mountains are actually quite a bit easier to get around in than chukar country, but the river breaks are wide open, not forrested.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 01-10-2003, 08:31 PM

Yeah I used to live in Wa. I know what you are talking about.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:27 PM

Good Question
There are several good breeds I feel comfortable useing in the mountains. Quarter horse, Thourobread and Arabs are some that I have used. I dont think the breed is as important as the horses behavior. You need a horse that you can trust and that does not get excited over little things. The only way to accomplish that is to spend many hours in the mountains with you horse. My last elk hunt we packed in 12 miles ranging from 9000 to 11000 feet. My horses were used to the country so we had no problems. If you are new to horses I recomend finding a friend that knows a little about them. Hope this helps. If you want more info just ask.
Stay safe

GOD HAS BLESSED AMERICA!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:18 PM

Elkhntr4,
Joe's got it about right - the breed's not what is important - the individual horse is, the main thing is to have a horse that is tame, reliable, and won't go bronc on you. I see folks with "flatland horses" in the mountains all the time and they seem to do well. A good part of that is that if you bring your own horse, then the horse and you know each other well BEFORE the hunt. Just make sure your horseshoer doesn't skip any nails and that he doesn't trim too much of the back of the hoof - might work on the flats but not in the mountains and the rocks.

I would say if your friend has little or no experience with horses then don't go it alone with horses up in the mountains. The mountains are one of the worst places imaginable to try to tie together safety, hunting, and horse issues - good way to plumb ruin an elk hunt! I grew up on a ranch and our horses were tame and reliable. Don't live on the ranch anymore, so we rented horses for my first elk hunt seeing how I had "so much horse experience." Made the mistake of filling out the application with the rental company saying I was very experienced and wanted strong horses that wouldn't wear out! Big mistake! I hadn't been thrown off a horse in 15 years until then, happened the second day. If anything, understate your ability and strive to get tame, reliable stock! Dude ranch horses are far better than a bunch of broncs just rounded up off of summer range two weeks before the season. Horses are not a guaranteed advantage in elk hunting.

Renting a horse isn't cheap either! We pay a 300 deposit plus 325 for the season. If everyone in the group gets one its expensive and you'll need a "wrangler person" just to take care of the stock. Unless you are hunting way back in, consider getting one horse for the group. Take turns riding him as you scout prior to the season. On the opening day leave him in camp, go hunt, and if you shoot something come back and get the horse to haul out the meat.

Our rental horse of choice is a draft horse - not real pretty to look at but very tame, unflappable, and gentle spirited but strong. Here are a few do's and don'ts I "lifted" from an old thread.....

HORSES - DO's:
1. If you are renting horses, then as soon as the driver unloads them, tighten up the cinch, lead them over to where the moles have churned up the ground, have someone hold on to the head and get on. If you have a bronc in your group then a) you may as well find out about it on soft dirt instead of rocks, and b) you can tell the driver to take that horse back and bring you a replacement.

2. Same as 1. above, but if you are going to pack elk on your rental horses, then while the driver is still there put the panniers on them and some bulk weight and a lashing rope and see if you are going to have a rodeo. Lead them back into the trees and arrange an opportunity for the pannier to rub against a tree - some horses will come unglued at that point. If they won't take a pannier and behave send them back with the driver for a replacement.

Obviously, this only works if you ordered your horses with some lead time, since replacements may not arrive until the next day.

HORSES DON'T's:
1. It's great for everyone to saddle their own horse, but if you have a hot head in the group with a short temper a loud voice and no tolerance for animal behavior, then keep him away from the horses at all costs. On the opening day you don't want him to throw a fit, shout, curse and swear and have the whole herd break loose and go running off into the trees! (seen it happen).

2. Horse feed, if you are renting horses, ask them to deliver the feed necessary to feed them during their time with you. The last thing you want to do is change their diet when you're working them hard and have them get the cholic. Make sure you water them plenty, two preferrably three times a day.

Horses can be a blessing or they can completely ruin an elk hunt. When you are renting them you are more at risk for the latter, the trick is to preempt as many problems as possible!

EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!
Old 01-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with joe and the master, It's far more the individual horse than the breed. We use Quarter, Thorough, Arabian, Paint, as well as mixed breed and they do well because they live in the mountains, they get ridden in the mountains and we know the horses and the temperments of each horse. One thing to keep in mind is if you are a rookie at riding horsed don't let the horse know it. Make the horse know that you are in control, If you let it do what it wants then you will have a hard time getting it to do what you want when you want it to do it. Draft horses, although very strong, are pretty big horses to be using in the back country of the Rockies. There can be alot of tight places in the wilderness. Tenessee Walkers make good "trail" horses, they are strong and have a medium frame and tend to be very sure footed in general. Again it can depend alot on the horse itself. Just remember you are NEVER actually in control, the horse only thinks you are. Don't let it know any different.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

Now it ain't thet I ain't got an' opinion 'bout this (don't reckin' I've ever been at a loss fer opinions), its jus' I don't feel right whorin' my words bout packin' when I got a feller to set up a proper horse packin' forum on BaitShopboys.com. So ifn you want to know the REAL best hoss fer huntin', stop by an' yank my chain over there.

BJ
Old 01-19-2003, 10:39 AM

I do alot of elk hunting in willmore wilderness park in the alberta rocky mountains. We've been using big quarterhorses to pack our camp in and our game out, they do a fine job but finding a quarter horse these days with good feet seems to be getting harder and harder. It seems they are breeding the foot out of the quarter horse for all that reining and cow horse events. We are now going to the Canadian horse. You probly never heard of it but it is a breed. They are exellent pack horses and riding horses for rocky mountain trails. They have great feet and a very nice temperment. We are fortunate to have a Canadian stud in our area, allowing us to breed our quarter horses with him, making an exceptional pack horse.

Edited by - hickie on 01/23/2003 22:25:50

Quick Reply: Horses For Elk Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.