Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Horses For Elk Hunting

Old 01-20-2003, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Horses For Elk Hunting

Hickie is 'xactly right. The feet started goin' in Q-horses many years back when competitive showin' started replacin' work for this breed. Small feet are a plague on the breed now. They're startin' to do the same disservice to the Morgan breed as well. I blame it on back yard horse owners an' stables back east thet got nuthin' to promote but showin' horses. Little girls get involved an' never really know what horses are good for asides from makin' orchestrated movements in a show ring. They may be sugar an' spice but they're damn hard on horse breeds.

BJ
Old 01-21-2003, 09:30 AM

I used to own a mule that was great for riding in rocky un-even terrain. I was riding him last winter along the icy side of a slope, and he skidded down the slope about 10'with me still in the saddle. He never got nervous or spooked, we just kept on goin after that sideway's ride.

Mule's have smaller hooves and stronger hind-quarters. If you can find a good one you can't beat them for packing and riding. Mine was especially good around kids to.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-24-2003, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

BE VERY CAREFUL BUYING HORSES FROM AN OUTFITTER! He will sell off the ones that are lame brained, too risky for dudes, or plumb wore out. A good dude horse is very valuable and outfitters go thru 10 horses for every keeper they buy at auctions. Don't believe that "so I don't have to feed 'em thru the winter" line. Oldest horse trader line in the world. Get somebody that knows horses to check the teeth for age an' work 'im in a corral for a long time to see if there are any leg problems or bad habits. Cinch him down real tight, and try to rub him with elk antlers. There's usually a reason an outfitter will sell off a horse, an' it ain't about food. Outfitter horses are usually pastured over the winter, not dry fed. Gettin' rid of good horses would be like a carpenter selling his tools then buyin' new ones in the spring.

BJ
Old 01-24-2003, 08:50 PM

BJ,
Good insight to a "world" that most of us rub up against when hunting but don't think about much the rest of the time. Every trade has its ins and outs. Experience is key in both hunting and horses and if you don't have the experience yourself its important to tap into someone who does. Thanks.

EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Spike

look for western morgans, tennesse walkers, quarter horses (ranch); saddlebred. they should be 14 to 15-2 hands. they must be mellow and 10-12 years or older. If you rent horses the saddles should have britchen or a crupper for the steep country.