Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 what size rifle for a first season big game girl? >

what size rifle for a first season big game girl?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what size rifle for a first season big game girl?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 AM

Default what size rifle for a first season big game girl?

this is my girl friends first year hunting she doesnt mind shooting a shot gun, yet shooting a rifle scares her shes afraid of the kick, someone told her they they all kick like a mule, i own a .270 but she has not shot it yet, we have been shopping but i just figuredi could get your opinions any thing would help thanks.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:12 AM

Default RE: what size rifle for a first season big game girl?

a .270 is a great gun for antelope, deer and even elk. bolt actions tend to kick harder than a semi auto. but a good recoil pad like the ones you can get from sims (SVL)should do the trick in taming the recoil. if shes not planing on hunting elk get her a .243. it works well for deer and antelope. but the tokey hunting isnt so much bullet size as it is shot placement. a well placed shot from a .243 is 100 times better than gut shooting an animal with a .325 wsm.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Try one of those slip on gel pads, sold at cabelas. Bench shooters swear by them. I got one for my son's sporterized mauser (metal butt plate). He no longer gets a bruised shoulder shooting off the bench. A muzzle brake can help too, but the sound will be intimidating. My '06 moutain rifle has a Fox River brake and it feels like a .223 and sounds like a cannon.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

I'd let her shoot the 270 and see how she does with it. My 135lb daughter shoots one and loves it! You still have time to go to something lesser. I agree, shot placement is the most important thing.
Dan

Old 08-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot the 270! Just buy her some of the new managed recoil rounds. My 8 year old neice killed a cow elk last year with a 300 win mag. With the help of the managed recoil rounds. Check it out
Old 08-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

BEFORE you let her shoot your .270, see if the gun fits her. IMO, fit trumps caliber selection in terms of felt recoil. If she's intimidated by how the gun feels, she'll be awfully aprehensive before she pulls the trigger.

And double-up her hearing protection: plugs inside earmuffs.

If you get her comfortable, and you teach her gently & patiently, it's quite likely that she'll surprise you with her shooting prowess, as well as with the fortitude of the calibers she's able to shoot well.

Is this a "race" to have her ready for this Fall? Try to take as much pressure off as you can.

Just my $.015,

FC
Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

BEFORE you let her shoot your .270, see if the gun fits her. IMO, fit trumps caliber selection in terms of felt recoil. If she's intimidated by how the gun feels, she'll be awfully aprehensive before she pulls the trigger.

And double-up her hearing protection: plugs inside earmuffs.

If you get her comfortable, and you teach her gently & patiently, it's quite likely that she'll surprise you with her shooting prowess, as well as with the fortitude of the calibers she's able to shoot well.

Is this a "race" to have her ready for this Fall? Try to take as much pressure off as you can.

Just my $.015,

FC
I agree. If you're looking for her a rifle, make sure it fits her. I've seen some .270s that kick pretty bad for a small framed person. My wife comfortably shoots a .257 Roberts and a 7mm-08, both are shorter guns with recoil pads.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Goose, my wife was a bit afraid of the kick, so I got her used to it by shooting a .220, .223, .25/06 and finally got her her own gun, a .300 Winnie. She weighs about 125lbs or so and is only about 5'4" tall.

I took the gun toa smith, had him measure her for the stock (had to be cut down about 2-3 inches as I recall), did some trigger work, bedded it, put a gel pad on it and then a brake.

It is loud, but there is very little muzzle flip when she shoots. Some folks will say that the break is too loud and there can be a tendency of junk to clog up the ports...assuming you don't take care of it.

If I were in your position, I would get a nice .270, have the stock cut down, and get a gel pad.

Kinda neat to have your girlfriend out in the field with you. You are a lucky guy.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

If she is small framed,a youth model 7 in 7mm-08 would be a great choice if you can find one.If not,you may need to cut the stock to make a rifle fit her properly.In any case,a 7mm-08 is still a great choice.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If she doesn't like the .270, get a .25-06, mmy uncle's got a buddy who loves his for antelope hunting, great recoil-shy shooter's rifle.

On second thought, look at a 7mm-08, great round for pretty much anything under elk, with just a little more kick than the .243.

The 7mm-08 is pretty much the bridge between the .243, and the .308, in power, and recoil.

If she thinks a recoil pad really helps, and that she could comfortably take more recoil with a recoil pad, you could get a .308 and put a recoil pad on it, but I would just stay safe and get the 7mm-08 Rem.

Quick Reply: what size rifle for a first season big game girl?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.