Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Idaho or Canada bear hunt? >

Idaho or Canada bear hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Idaho or Canada bear hunt?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Idaho or Canada bear hunt?

Looking to go on my first Bear hunt this fall, Looking to go to Idaho or maybe Canada. is the quality of Bear in Idaho any better or worse then say up in Alberta? I know theres some obvious cost differences in travel but the hunts were looking at, are about the same price. Basically I have a hunt to choose from. Ones in Idaho, and the other near Worsley Alberta.
It would be nice to have the reduced cost in travel but if the bears up there are much larger and more of them, that will also make a difference in my decision????? (i guess its a good problem to have)
Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idaho or Canada bear hunt?

Alberta has bigger bears bar none, Idaho has more color phase bears. depends on what you are looking for. Knowing what I do about Idaho, I would say if size is what you want, chances are better of killing a big bearin Alberta!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Go to Worsley Alberta as it is just north on the mighty Peace River an area known for large bears and about a 60% off color[blond-cinnamon]ratio to blacks............You should be able to get two tags and fill them no problem....usually hunted in grain fields or along the river banks feeding on clover and dandilions.Are you going this year? Try and go sometime during the first three weeks in May as the hides are at their best and not rubbed.Season here runs April1 til the end of May.April is too early and the poplars are just budding now May 18.Are you hunting over baits?........Harold ...........Alberta Canada
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 AM

I live in washington state and have shot 5 bears here. I just got back from hunting in Ft. Mcmurray, AB. Fantatstic time and the bears are WAY better than down here. Came home with a 340lb. 6.5 ft. pope and young blackie. Great pellage. Could have shot another bear but wanted to save up for next year. Email me and I will send you some pics. [email protected]
Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 AM

I hunt up in New Brunswick every spring. They have no color phase, but success rate are in the 90-95% range and the hunts are only about 1,000. Just food for thought.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 AM

This weekend, I am going on my first bear hunt. We will be guided by Shadow Mountain Outfitters (Riondel BC) www.huntshadowmountainoutfitters.com. We'll fly from Chicago to Seattle to Spokane. Then we drive to Hope ID, where I have more in-laws. From there, Riondel is about 3 hours North. My bro-in-law, who has been hunting aggressively for 20+ years,has hunted deer, moose, and mountain lion with this outfit. Hehas been very impressed with both the quality of the operation and the abundance of wildlife. Apparently, the black, brown, cinnamin, and blonde color phases are well represented. I'm very excited.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Hey thanks for the replies, looks like the cost came into play quite a bit more than anticipated. So were scheduled for a hunt up near Orfino ID. Its my first Bear hunt and i'm very excited.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: habiv

This weekend, I am going on my first bear hunt. We will be guided by Shadow Mountain Outfitters (Riondel BC) www.huntshadowmountainoutfitters.com. We'll fly from Chicago to Seattle to Spokane. Then we drive to Hope ID, where I have more in-laws. From there, Riondel is about 3 hours North. My bro-in-law, who has been hunting aggressively for 20+ years,has hunted deer, moose, and mountain lion with this outfit. Hehas been very impressed with both the quality of the operation and the abundance of wildlife. Apparently, the black, brown, cinnamin, and blonde color phases are well represented. I'm very excited.
The Shadow Mtn. Outfitters don't have a price list. How much did you pay? I'm curious, since if it's worth the money, I'd just like to know how much that money is.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 AM

in alberta you can shoot 2 bears
Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 AM

Younggun,

I didn't make the reservation so I don't knowthe exact cost breakdown. I think that the cost of the license, tag, outfitter is apprx. $3,200-$3,500. I do know that the whole trip, including my air fare from Chicago, not including the necessary equipment,is going to cost approx. $4,500. Thank God that I have a great wife. Since I could take the whole family on vacation for a week for $4,500, it sure better be a good time.

Before writing Shadow Mountain Outfitters off as too expensive, I'd give them the chance of explaining their fees. I picked them solely on the basis of the fact that my brother in law thinks so highly of them.

Quick Reply: Idaho or Canada bear hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.