Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Polar Bears Comments needed! >

Polar Bears Comments needed!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Polar Bears Comments needed!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Polar Bears Comments needed!

I thought I would post this up online and see if anyone else is interested in testifying before the USFWS on April 6th, 2007 or sending in written comments:

Dear SCI Members in Maryland, Virginia and DC,

For those of you near the D.C. area, we have just received notice of a public hearing for input on the decision to list polar bears as threatened on the endangered species list due to the threats from global warming. Please see the details below and if you are available, plan to come by and register your comments and interest on behalf of sportsmen and women everywhere on this particular issue. Alaska residents, please note meetings in your state as well.

What: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will hold a Public Hearing in Washington, D.C. to present information and take public comments on the 12-month petition finding and proposed rule to list the polar bear as "threatened" throughout its range under the Endangered Species Act.

When: Monday, March 5, 2007, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Where: Department of the Interior auditorium, 1849 C. St NW, Washington, D.C. (C St. Entrance)

The hearing will begin with a background presentation on the petition finding and the proposed rule. That will be followed by a question and answer session followed by testimony.

Anyone wishing to make an oral statement will be asked to register upon arrival at the meeting. Those wishing to provide spoken comments at the meeting are encouraged to also deliver a written copy of their statement.

The Service is particularly interested in comments concerning information on polar bear distribution, habitat selection, food habits, population density and trends, habitat trends, and effects of management on polar bears, the effects of sea ice change on the distribution and abundance of polar bears and their principal prey, the effects of other potential factors (such as oil and gas development, contaminants, ecotourism, hunting, and poaching), any populations of the species that may qualify as distinct population segments, and data and studies referred to within the proposal.

Hearings are also scheduled to be held in Alaska in Anchorage (March 1) and Barrow (March 7).

Written comments will be accepted at the meeting, or can be sent by April 9, 2007 by mail to: Supervisor, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Marine Mammals Management Office, 1011 East Tudor Road
Old 03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Polar Bears Comments needed!

Excepts from a speech given by Sen. James Inhofe in the Senate.
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressReleases&C ontentRecord_id=ef1cdc42-802a-23ad-4428-93559736e2a1&Designation=Majority

"Other sources of data mentioned in a recent Wall Street Journal piece, suggest that “there are more polar bears in the world now than there were 40 years ago.” The Fish and Wildlife Service estimates that the polar bear population is 20,000 to 25,000 bears, whereas in the 1950s and 1960s, estimates were as low as 5,000-10,000 bears due to sport hunting, which has since been restricted. "
Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Thank you for the fantastic information! If anyone has more.. It will be well used!

Old 03-30-2007, 05:38 PM

Interesting stuff!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's just a bunch of tree-huggers being stupid.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, that makes sense. If there was/is a problem with globalwarming lets just start listing all the animals that live in the arctic endangered instead of actually fixing the problem. Lets see,list something endangered that you can't hunt anyway, but youcan if you go to a different country. Doesn't matter that you can't bringthe trophyinto the USA (you can the picture and video of the hunt) I am not saying there are less/more I am just stating the situation. Just like the automobileemission issue! It doesn't matter if they made cars to emit a fraction of the smog when the amount of cars they are producingwill make up the difference.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM

I don't think listing the polar bear as endangered is such a bad thing. Think about it.....If they are, George "the oil man" Bush can't try to drill destroying habitat like he has done in the west. If the bears go on the list, the land in which they live will be protected too. A good thing for all of us. Team work.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: as moeggs

I don't think listing the polar bear as endangered is such a bad thing. Think about it.....If they are, George "the oil man" Bush can't try to drill destroying habitat like he has done in the west. If the bears go on the list, the land in which they live will be protected too. A good thing for all of us. Team work.
thats just genius, im sure thats really getting to Bush. hes thinking man, now i cant go drill for oil in the arctic where it would be cost inefficient to drill even if there was oil there. quit hating on bush, he has nothing to do with this post, theres a politics forum for a reason. bush isnt a bad pres either but we wont go into that because this is a POLAR BEAR THREAD.

as far as the bears go, wouldnt this be a pointless action. correct me if im wrong, but what good would it do for the United States to put a bear on there endangered list, when most bears live in northern canada (im assuming there are some polar bears in alaska?). does canada have to abide by our endangered list, or can they just keep hunting them like they are right now.

I think they should be able to be hunted, looking at how the population is growing tremendously. usually they put animals on the list because their numbers are going down, not up.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Tembry,
my point exactly. It is a waste of time when you can't hunt them anyway! But I have thought about this: do they get special funding to enhance habitat for the bears if they get listed? Sounds good huh? What will they do have a boat stationed up therepatrolling the waters looking for bears stranded on ice?but wait, wouldn't bestopping global warming be the only way to enhance their habitat? Plus you can't make other countrys join your cause just because you want them to. So I williterate my statement,thesediscussions are awaste of time (not here in the forums but on Capital Hill). My other take on the situation will be that the bears that are supposedly drifting off to sea sooner or later will get the point and will move inland and find alternate food sources as will the seals and other sea dwelling mammals. Hasn't the ice been melting and receeding all along since the last ice age(now just faster)? So the become better swimmers LOL.Heck, I don't know cross them with a grizzly/brownie and make them more of an inland bear. (just kidding)Here is more info http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20070325-011239-2168r.htm

:the more time I spend here on this planetthe more I realize we are just a bunch of talking monkeys dead set on our own demise.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

What ever happened to hunters being the greenies? I'm glad Teddy didn't have the "pave everything" attitude that seems to prevail in here. Anything that may challenge our right to drive empty 600 horse power crew cab duelly diesel trucks to the mail box and back must be a commie plot.
The Polar Bear certainly will get my support but I will do some research to find what will really benefit them. Hudson Bay Polar Bears are definately i trouble.

Quick Reply: Polar Bears Comments needed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.