Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Moose/caribou/and bear?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Moose/caribou/and bear?

Can anybody recommend a Newfoundland guide for a combination hunt? I hope to book for 2007 or 2008
Old 12-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Default RE: Moose/caribou/and bear?

I can't recommend one right off hand, but run an internet search, and you should find some good results.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
bigcountry

I have been with a few. One is viking trail outfitters which has changed hands since I been. I can't say I would suggest any of them. But I will tell you this. Don't waste your money on the bear. I have only met a hand full of hunters to ever see a bear in the Fall. If you want bear, you need to go to an outfitter to concentrate on bear. Running around the marsh you rarely see one. The ones who concentrate on bear are baiting heavily. You really can't hunt moose and bear in 9 days easily unless you get lucky.

Also, you will see tons of bou, but again, think twice before forking over the 2k for a bou tag along with a moose tag. You really want to concentrate on caribou to get a nice woodland. And the land you cover for caribou is mostly on the tops of the hills and not down in the marsh near the water where you do for moose.

If you do the combo, make sure you put in for a 9day hunt. Youmost likely will concentrate on moose, and you will see caribou doing that, but I only see the nice stags onthe tops of themountains. I have worked for 5 days to get my moose easily, and came back empty handed.

Forbear in the spring, here is one I can recommend that my gunsmith has killed some monster400lb+ bear
http://www.nfldadventuresltd.com/bbear.htm

Lastly, be careful of statistics like 100% kill. One outfitter still advertises this even though I came back with nothing. Last day of the hunt, we seen a 4pt moose at over 700yards, and he tried to get me to sling lead at it. I said your crazy. We got up to 500 yards, but I missed, he counted that as an opportunity. With 20mph winds shooting uphill with not much of a rest. I dont' know about you guys, but I can't say that was a viable opportunity. But we ate well, and had a goodtime. The area was just overhunted.

One guy I will consider going back to Newfoundland with is the following. Seemed like a real honest good guy.
http://www.newfoundlandhunting.com/

Another thing, find out how they will get you in the camp. If they say they will do it by cessna 172, think twice. winds can get bad up there, and we sat at base camp for 2 days due to he couldnt' get the plane off the water. While the other outifitters were taking guys out in beavers and helicopters that can take the wind. The outfitter ended up having to pay the guys with a due engine job to get us out but we lost 2 days of hunting. That sucked. I was shocked to find out the guys using helicopters can take alot of wind, and they sometimes havea fee of 200 dollars to pull your moose out. After humping 5 miles with 100lbs of meat on your back, you might think its worth it.

Its the roughet terrain you can imagine. Makes the rockies seem like a dream. It may be steep in Co, but at least you are not sinking 5" every step. So I would take 6months to get in excellent shape. Last time I sprained both ankles, and pulled my hip. Those marshes are rough on you. And black spuce even rougher.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to Newfoundland in 2005.

I hunted here

http://www.biggameoutfitting.com/

Had a great time. Three of us got moose. I have to agree with forgetting the bear tag. One of our hunters saw a bear. The guides told us that bear were opportunity only. If you happen to see one but they don't really guide for bear.

Also ditto on getting a combination license. You could luck out and get a caribou and moose but you will be sore. It is very difficult to walk there. You sink in the ground with each step requiring you to lft your leg higher for the next step. It wears you out quickly.

Our outfitter was pretty good on successful hunters. Pretty much everyone gets their moose providing they are willing to hunt. Some guys get wore out and give up. There are lots of older retired hunters going hunting there. I'm sure they get all tuckered out.

Another thing, all the brochures show big racks. You may find yourself settling for a small 4 point moose. Out of the three of us, mine was nice but the other guys got a six and a four point. They were tired of walking( after 2 and 3 days hunting) and shot small ones. It can be a difficult choice when you are wore out and you know that you may not see another moose. Just go with the idea, that this is a meat hunt and you won't be dissapointed. If you go expecting a trophy, you might end upupset.

The outfitter I went with does have a trophy camp. It costs an extra $1000, but it is an area that was recently opened. They get some dandys there. My buddys cosin went to a trophy camp a few weeks before we went. He got a bull with a 54 inch spread.

One of the nice things about my outfitter, if you arrive at the main lodge a few days early, they will fly you into camp early as long as the group before you is tagged out and ready to leave. Our hunt was supposed to start on Friday but we went early and got flown in on the wednesday before.

I actually got my moose about 2 hours after arriving in camp. I only hunted 20 minutes and my hunt was done. My one buddy got his the next day and the other got his on Saturday.

There is much moreI could tell you. If you have any more questions I'll do my best to answer.

I highly reccomend the outfit I hunted with.

We didn't see a lot of animals but we hunted the first week of October which happens to be the last week their camps are open. The weather was rainy and windy most of the time we were there.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted to add a couple things. while the walking is tuff, the guides pack out the meat. I did carry my rack for a little bit. You can carry meat if you want but they don't expect you to. The actually reccomend against it.

You won't go hungry!

The remote hunt camps are a little rustic ( out house, drink water from the lake, showers from a shower bag of heated water.)

Theres just a lot to say but it was a great hunt.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks guys that is exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for. I've called outfitters, searched the net, and read brochures. I need to know who delivers and who blows smoke. I'm willing to hunt hard 9 + days but I don't want to come home empty handed. I hunted alaska for moose in 2000 and saw cows and calves all ten days but not a single legal bull. I REALLY don't want to do that again.....

Thanks for sharing the photos too. Any added info is much appreciated. I'd love to hear more about your hunts and those of the guys you hunted with.

I appreciate the links too.
Mike
Old 12-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't know about any of the other outfitters. A buddy of mine went the year before we did. He and 2 other hunters tagged out early on the hunt.

I ask him lots of questions just like you are doing. Our group did consider looking for another outfitter but my buddy assured us that this outfitter was pretty good. He was able to tell ustruthfully what to expect and we knew him. We figured his word was better than someone, we didn't know, telling us what it was like.

Patey and sons has about a dozen different camps. all are fly in except one, I believe. I guess how they do it up there is, outfitters lease certain areas. They are the only ones that can hunt that area. Locals couldn't get there unless they had a float plane anyway.

They have thousands of ponds and lakes up there. The huge lakes they call ponds. They are huge bodies of water to only be called ponds.

They lease an area of 5 miles around certain "ponds"

Here are some tips I can give to you

1)Don't have any NRA, stickers, hats, window decals, bumper stickers, etc... when you cross the border, they will search your vehicle. They didn't search ours, but this was a tip I was given. They seem to worry about handguns up there.

2) Wear rubber boots, not Gortex type. The Gortex type will get heavy as they get wet, plus they aren't high enough up your leg. Sometimes a small puddle will look a few inches deep and you will sink in up to your knee. I had La Crosse Alpha Burlys ( uninsulated) they were light, comfortable and waterproof.

3) Have good quality rain gear. The cheap vinyl kind will be ripped to shreds in minutes.

4) Get in shape. The walking is very difficult. Its not the steepness of the terrain, its the soggy, saturated ground. You sink a few inches in it.. Just be in shape, those guides will have you walking lots of miles in that stuff.

Here are a few photos of the terrain

Old 12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure about the nine day hunt either. Most only have week long hunts, unless you get there early and they have an empty camp open that you will get a few extra days.

If you go for a caribou and moose, just realize you may not have the time to be picky about antler size. We did lose a day of hunting because it was foggy and rainy on the 3rd day.

Another photo

Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

another

Old 12-09-2006, 07:42 AM

Have to go along with every one else go in the spring for bear and get in shape I have hunted Alaska and all over the west this is by far the hardest hunt I have been on I went with snowshoe lake and it was the best camp my group has ever been in. go to other areas forum and look at newfoundland and tell Ron, Don and Donna sent you going back in oct. cant wait!!

Quick Reply: Moose/caribou/and bear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.