Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

More stupid elk hunters

Old 11-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default More stupid elk hunters

I was taking my son to a spot where I thought we might see some elk. On the way we decided to stop (he is handicapped and doesn't walk so good) and rest a bit. I heard more than a couple of shots and looked up to see some, uh, road hunters shooting at a spike (not long enought brow tines). The bull was running away from them. They finally stopped shooting as the spike was about 1000 yards away (my range finder quits at 800, had to estimate the rest). Not long after that a 4 pointer takes off in the same direction. Same results, only a few more shots. Not long after that a nice 6 point took off. I stopped counting at 32 shots. All three bulls were last seen walking off the top of a hill. At one spot on the forest service road I picked up 24 pieces of brass from a .30/06.

WTF is wrong with people.....???? Not only was the first one illegal, but, they were all running away from the uh, 'hunters'. The bulls were all broadside to us long enough to get a shot off...but, crap, I didn't want to get involved in something like that.

Third season in Unit 68 in southern CO in case anyone is interested.

Not to worry; although we did not get to shoot an elk, the kid had a ball building fires, knocking down a few beers with dad late at night, finding a wolf kill and so on. We did manage to snag a nice 4X buck.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:00 AM

Default RE: More stupid elk hunters

People like that ruin it for everyone.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

ya people like that piss me off. GET TO KNOW AYOUR GUN AND GO TO THE RANGE AND READ THE REGS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
Old 11-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

i ment a thumbs up
Old 11-22-2006, 11:34 AM

Shame you didn't have the opportunity to get a plate number and description of vehicle and "shooters" . . . (can't call them hunters). Cause I would have turned them in to a G&F official. I've done it!

Glad to hear it was a good time with the boy though.

One of my favorite bumper stickers:
"If you hunt with your kids . . . You don't hunt FOR them!"
Old 11-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

finding a wolf kill and so on
What makes ya beleive that you found a "wolf kill"?

I oncewitnessed two guys fire 17 rounds at one bull elk, and not get it. They finally stopped shooting when the bull reached the trees about 800 yards away[:@]
Old 11-22-2006, 01:18 PM

i'm not an elk hunter, but how can you be THAT bad of a shot?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was on a caribou hunt last year, and once we all tagged out they brought in a group of 6 gun hunters from Penn. They were out a total of 30 minutes the first night, had fired 27 shots total and killed a whopping 7 caribou. Two guys had to come back for more bullets!!! They were an amazing group of hillbillies. I'm sure they all went home with stories of whata great "hunt" it was.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: feddoc

...finding a wolf kill and so on. ...
Are you sure about this? Wolfs in So CO? How far south is this from I-70?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Howler, I saw the following
1. A dead cow/calf elk, or what was left of it.
2. Nothing but wolf and elk tracks and lots of blood.

laufer303, I am pretty well aware of the differences between wolf tracks and coyote tracks as well as the differences between the two animals.

I saw my first wolf during a predator hunt at some time back in the early 80s. My most recent view was two years ago as I watched one walk within 50 feet of our camp. Unit 68 is located south of highway 114 and west of highway 285. I would guess it to be about 80 -100 miles south of I-70...but, to be sure look at the town of Saguache on a map.

Quick Reply: More stupid elk hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.