Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Federal Fusion..NOT impressed >

Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

Rather,
"....So IMO all dead elk are not created equal...."
While IMHOthat is true,it will be acontested "sale" on this site.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Rather-----I've never used or seen the results of a Barnes. But I've seen the results of a partition, 1st hand.Meat loss was the sameas a core-lokt, that front half is just a standard bullet & the back half is a solid. To each there own, I stick with plain jane bullets out of a 30/06. CB
Old 11-16-2006, 05:43 PM

I guess I'm somewhere between CB and R-B-H, in that for most game, ie., deer, I think most factory loads will perform plenty well enough, if not perfectly, to drop what you want to put in the freezer. Ienjoy reloading my own ammo,for any number of reasons, but probably the biggest reason being,I have control over what case, primer, powder, and bulletI use, (in this case, a .308).I have used Hornady bulletson caribou with excellent results, and( many years ago, used factory Rem ammo on whitetails very sucessfully). When going for elk, I decided to use the Barnes TSX, whichI was very satisfied with as far as performance. In all fairness, the bullet punched through, so Icannot say if itretained full weight, I only know it broke several ribs on entry, and made a nice hole on exit. When I see (whats left of) a bullet like my friend shot, and recovered only the jacket from the innards, rest assured, I will not be putting that bullet into my 'possibles" bag. I will still stand by my original post, that if a bullet is sold as being basically impossible to have the jacket and core seperate, and it does read that way, it had better not if you want me to buy it.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

But I've seen the results of a partition, 1st hand.Meat loss was the sameas a core-lokt, that front half is just a standard bullet & the back half is a solid.
The Partition is not solid on the back end. Hence the "partition".

Old 11-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Guys,

Well, I guess I am the "idiot" who used a 180gr 30-06 Federal Fusion on an elk. Just so everyone is clear, I was using a Winchester Model 70 in a 30-06. The elk in question was an adult cow and the shot was about 35 yards. No matter how you look at it, Federal says the core won't seperate from the jacket and this didn't seem to hold true. Now don't get me wrong, I like Federals and use their premium Barnes sabot in my shotgun for deer as well as their turkey loads for turkeys. I am going to try their Barnes Triple Shock X. Yes, dead is dead and fortunately it all worked out. It may have been a different story if the shot was further and it was a big bull. Oh by the way, I purchased the box at Cabela's (World's Foremost Outfitter) at their headquarters in Sidney, Nebraska. I told the ammo dude what I has hunting and I'm pretty sure he didn't say "Son, these are for deer only". I think I would have remembered that! Here is the suspect in question:

This one is my favorite

Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob in VT

Hey Guys,

Well, I guess I am the "idiot" who used a 180gr 30-06 Federal Fusion on an elk. Just so everyone is clear, I was using a Winchester Model 70 in a 30-06. The elk in question was an adult cow and the shot was about 35 yards. No matter how you look at it, Federal says the core won't seperate from the jacket and this didn't seem to hold true. Now don't get me wrong, I like Federals and use their premium Barnes sabot in my shotgun for deer as well as their turkey loads for turkeys. I am going to try their Barnes Triple Shock X. Yes, dead is dead and fortunately it all worked out. It may have been a different story if the shot was further and it was a big bull. Oh by the way, I purchased the box at Cabela's (World's Foremost Outfitter) at their headquarters in Sidney, Nebraska. I told the ammo dude what I has hunting and I'm pretty sure he didn't say "Son, these are for deer only". I think I would have remembered that! Here is the suspect in question:
Not trying to start a fight here but um....the last person I would trust is some yahoo behind the counter at Cabelas that probably has only seen an elk on video. I mean for crying out loud there is deer antlers on the box!

This press release refers to the Fusion as "a deer bullet of unimagined kinetic force by electrochemically joining pure copper to an extreme pressure-formed core. It releases radically high terminal energy upon impact, radiating lethal shock throughout the target. "

http://outdoorwriters.atk.com/defaul...&year=2006

Also, every add I've seen in every outdoor magazine specifically pictured or statedit as a deer bullet.

Oh well live and learn I guess. You don't have ot worry about much seperation the TSX it's pretty well solid.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Rob,
That is pretty definitive, looks seperated to me for something that infers that it is fused.
You won't be disappointed in a Barnes TSX, they are mean mistreaters and have no core to shed, monolithic.
(BTW, I've never been disappointed in Partition either).
Old 11-17-2006, 07:00 AM

Gosh, Rob, from your pictures, that's an awful big "hollow point" you were using. And you say it was from a .243 and the shot was from 350 yards? Wow!
Nice picture buddy!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

deleted
Old 11-17-2006, 09:51 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Gosh, Rob, from your pictures, that's an awful big "hollow point" you were using. And you say it was from a .243 and the shot was from 350 yards? Wow!
No.
Re-read.

Quick Reply: Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.