Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Sitka Blacktail

Old 01-10-2002, 09:30 PM

Default Sitka Blacktail

Anyone been too Alaska (Kodiak) island to hunt Sitka Blacktail and if so who did you use as a outfitter and how much did it cost total?
Old 01-10-2002, 09:40 PM

Default RE: Sitka Blacktail

I live on Kodiak so I don't use a guide, but if you'd like I can do a little research for you...just contact me at my email address.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Spike

Hey Q2MD, I have not hunted there but I know of a reputable outfitter that takes deer hunterson Kodiak. I know a couple guys that have hunted bear with him. Anyway, I can get you the info if you want. Noticing that you are from MD, the eastern chapter convention and hunt auction for FNAWS is coming up. That outfitter as well as many others will attend as they do each year. It is in Hershey PA on March 2 and is a fun saturday afternoon if you are interested in going.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:55 AM

Funny you ask this question this evening as I just finished some blacktail steaks not too long ago. I'll let you in on a little secret...next to dall sheep, they are the best tasting animal this state has to offer. People will probably disagree, and say moose, but I don't think so. The only exception I might make to that is bison, but I don't think I'll ever draw a tag. Now that you know my feelings about Sitka making good table fare, lets talk about the other important stuff.

Nothing gets my blood pumping like a good looking 3x3 all rutted up in the neck. Something about that short stalky look, it just really makes me get excited. They make wonderful mounts if you get one and I am still working on getting a decent buck up on the wall.

Probably the most pleasant way to hunt Sitka on Kodiak is like Nimrod said, by chartered boat. You live and dine like a king during your excursion, and the plain truth is you don't have to worry about bears in camp. I would recommend staying away from the cabins, they get hunted hard and there is less possibility of you and your party getting your three deer each. Packing your camp out by water or air taxi would be my other method. Cheaper than the boat charter, but yes a little riskier if you are concerned about bears. No doubt you could see as many deer a day as Nimrod stated back eight years ago, but since then Kodiak suffered a bad winter kill of deer. I am happy to say the deer are making a swift come back, and Kodiak is by far the best place to still hunt Sitka's.

As far as prices are concerned you are looking at approximately 1200-1600 per person for a chartered boat which normally includes duck hunting, deer hunting, hot meals (crab and halibut) and showers, and a warm place to sleep, obviously air and water taxis' will cost more the farther away you get from the city, however I would recommend getting a float plane and getting around to some of the alpine lakes (if going during the early season and no snow is on the ground), or head for the west to south area of the island. Looking at $1200 to $1600 total for the transportation. You will likely be allowed more weight on the boat vs a beaver or otter, however if planned carefully you and three of your buds can get a pretty good camp out to a more remote area for about the same price. A 7-10 day stay in a forestry service cabin will cost in the neighborhood of $450. If you can find a private cabin that gets alot less pressure it will definitely cost you more. Also, many of the public cabins on the island you have to be drawn on during the peak season which runs until October of November. The guys who get drawn get first shot at a date of their choice, if your lucky enough to call and get a cabin when it isn't reserved I guess you'll be good as gold too. Hope this helps. Good luck, Jim

Edited by - dalliwacker on 01/11/2002 06:02:27
Old 01-13-2002, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info.guys.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:47 AM

I got a blacktail on Kodiak this year. I would agree that the boat hunts are a great way to go. I will also tell you to have the deer processed at your home or by the guides. I had mine processed in Kodiak and they did a horrible job. I got someone elses deer I think. I had a great shot, cleaned the deer myself within 2 minutes had the deer opened and cooling, and kept all the outside garbage out of it. I cooked up some backstrap, and it tasted awful. So, I figure, my nice clean, young, probably wonderful tasting deer ended up on someone elses plate. Meanwhile, they tried to charge me for everything under the sun. So, have fun hunting, just stay away from the processor in town.

Have fun hunting and stay dry.

Beej
Old 01-14-2002, 04:49 PM

Beej

The days of someone else butchering your game meat are over. If you are planning on being a successful hunter, unless you start doing the butchering yourself, then your not going to have enough money for your trophy mounts, because you will be spending it all on processing fees. At the very miminum you should learn how to cut your steaks, stew meat, and roasts. Then you probably could get away with sending your meat out for burger. Sorry to hear about your deer. Was it a buck, and what time of year did you kill it in? The reason I ask is you might have shot a nice rutted up buck, which could explain the taste.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:05 PM

Dalli, shot him the second day of the season, August 2. So, it was a young buck, not rutted up. I expected the taste to be excellent.

I also agree with you that I need to learn how to butcher it up. from other guys who hunt, I have learned who to take it the xtra sausage meat to in town here.

beej