Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Calling all Mule deer . . . >

Calling all Mule deer . . .

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Calling all Mule deer . . .

Old 10-13-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Calling all Mule deer . . .

Has anybody ever successfully called in mulie bucks?
And what did you use and how?
Old 10-13-2006, 03:36 PM

Default RE: Calling all Mule deer . . .

Has anybody ever successfully called in mulie bucks?
And what did you use and how?

what he said
Old 10-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mule deer are very vocal under the right conditions. If you hear them, you will never forget the noise. I was hunting with some freinds a couple of years ago and grunted while they were hunting, I can't tell you for sure if they would have been killed without the call being used, but it didn't hurt any as we killed a 145 and a 170 buck. I have had them show up during the late season archery while I am grunting. I did some reasearch and found very little on the topic. I do know for sure that during the rut, I have heard a wide variety of vocalizations coming from the bucks.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 AM

I have always wondered. I do carry a grunt tube and use it. But have never brought one in or think I've heard mulie bucks or does.There's very little deer hunting in November here in Wyoming so we don't get to hunt the rut.
So much has been written about and products sold for elk and whitetails, but not mulies. My grunt tube does say "And works for mulies". Not really made for it.
Is their voice higher or lower than whitetails?

I have a call from Elk, Inc made for mulie does/fawns, and have gotten some interesting responses from them, but never brought a buck in.
You gotta figure something should work!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

A mulie grunt resembles a low drawn out clicking noise. I would say that the tone is about the same, just drawn out in mulies. When they get to grunting, they keep going and going. It is awesome to listen to. You should head out in November with a camera in hand. It could be very interesting! That way it would be possible to shoot as many deer in a day as your film will hold, and you can pack em out all at once :0)
Old 10-17-2006, 11:37 AM

Ive never been able to call in a mule deer. The closest ive been to "calling" them is having my brother rattle some antlers to keep the deers attention while i crawled 200 yards through oak brush to get into range. i missed and never saw that huge buck again. Ah well, ive upgraded my rifles since then.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM

I have two Type 6 "doe/fawn" licenses for an area in eastern Wyo. and that season goes to the end of November.
I am going to pay close attention to deer sounds this year, before harvesting. Wish I had a parabolic mic to record some of them.

Ah Ha . . . New project!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

I actually was using my elk cow call last year in early November anda mulie buck came out into the open.I think the cow call was the reason. I was making a estrus call and curiosity must be why the mulie had to come and check it out. Needless to say he came home to my freezer.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got to hear some grunting already this year. The rut was slow for elk, but mulies are starting up real good this year!!!!