Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

antelope strategies

Old 07-14-2006, 09:16 AM

Default antelope strategies

I drew a northeast NM antelope tag and am planning a do it yourself hunt. This will be my first time hunting antelope. I would be interested in hearing any stategies or advise on hunting these critters. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: antelope strategies

Buddy, it's all about the spot and stalk.....shouldn't be too tough if you're patient and locate a few herds of goats. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be going out next weekend to set up my three blinds. Two of them will be at fence crossings and the third will be at a water source. This will give the goats a little over three weeks to adjust to the blinds. I also play spot and stalk. Normally, antelope will be up and feeding until around 10 a.m., then they will bed down, for several hours, before getting up again to move and feed. SO, use the morning hours to spot, then get yourself into a closer proximity, and then when they bed down, make your move. They are very good about laying with thier backs to the wind so they can watch the area that they can't smell danger.
Depending on if your hunting the rut period, a decoy can do wonders too. Where I hunt them, they don't go into the rut until after archery season!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:12 PM

I personally prefer the spot and stalk method. Drive the back country roads in the mornings and evenings and stop to glass every antelope you see. The morning and evening are the best times to spot them since they are out moving around then, but also because the sun is lower on the horizon and their white butts stand out like a sore thumb when your back is to the sun. If you don't see anything worth stalking in the morning or evening, get out and start walking draws and other possible bedding areas that are not visible from the road. Remember, it doesn't take that big of a draw to hide a speed goat in the desert. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

One little tip, if you plan to do a lot of crawling around in that country. When I have antelope hunted, I've spent more time on my elbows and knees than on my feet. So, I take a complete set of elbow and knee pads. Wear the knee pads on your calves and carry the elbow pads in your daypack. Saves you many cactus sticks. (I have considered an athletic cup too, but that's another story!)
Old 07-17-2006, 01:29 PM

Figured it would be mostly spot and stalk. Any tips for getting close? I will be hunting the end of August. Any idea when the rut is in this area? Good tip on the knee pads. I will be sure and include a pair. Anything else?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh what I do is usally, jump in the truck,spot a herd and then chase them at 70+ mph accross the stubble feild.For best results run them into the fence cornor,then bail out and shoot 3 or 4,or how ever many tags you have,gotta stay with in the laws now.For anyone who is still reading this I'm joking,for best results spot and stalk.Antelope arenot hard,just gotta stay away from their very keen eyes.

Get out there and get a big"un
BBJ
Old 07-18-2006, 04:21 PM

Start with good optics. Spotting scope is almost a necesity.
Getting close is the whole hunt! You can put together the best plan, and as soon as you crest that hill through the cactus on your belly, the herd is topping the NEXT ridge! They have Cheetah speed, and 8 power vision.
First thing you do, practice 200+ yard shots. A LOT! Know your balistics. Antelope go down pretty easy. 7Mag is big for Antelope for instance. But works well.
If you have time to scope an area enough to know their dailyt habits (eating and drinking), use that info to set up and "cut 'em off". No matter what, be prepared to make a long shot.
PRACTICE . . .PRACTICE . . .PRACTICE! I say this not just as an avid goat hunter, but experienced guide as well.
Here in Wyoming, the rut starts in September, so I would guess it to be the same in NW NM. Probably will be pre rut. Antelope and sociable animals. They are always together. They aren't like other species that group up in bachelor or doe/cow groups. Bucks will be with the herd all year long.
Remember, your best weapon is confidence in the long shot.
One last thing, skin it out, cool it off right after harvest. Excellent meat if you care for it. If you tie it to your hood back to Texas, you'll have 57 pounds of Jerky.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, will you be using a "long bow"/rifle or is it an archery hunt?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:05 PM

This is a rifle hunt. I believe it is three days starting Aug 26

Quick Reply: antelope strategies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.