it is a stupid question but im going to ask it anyway can you eat bear? what does it taste like?" />

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Bear

Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bear

i have a question i know it is a stupid question but im going to ask it anyway can you eat bear? what does it taste like?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 PM

Default RE: Bear

Sure you can eat bear. I would avoid a bear that eats a steady diet of fish or garbage. It taste "ok" but not great. Or at least our bear was ok. I dont get to excited about a bear steak. Makes good burger though.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:07 PM

Spring black bear sausage and smoked hams
Black bear after June and brown bear
That's just one man's opinion though. Others say they like brown bear meat and berry fed fall black bear (which I've never had).
Old 03-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

We have a fall Black Bear hunt here. And yes they are plenty good to eat. Our hunters all now take the meat back home with them. I do agree the steaks are not my preference. But roasts, hamburger and let's not forget Pepperettes (hotrods) are the best ever. One of our guys had his whole bear made into pepperettes after he ate some I had here. He took them to work and sold them to the guys he worked with and paid for his hunt with a few bucks left. I eat everything I shoot or else I don't shoot it. If you have bear meat prepared by someone who knows how to do it right, you're ok. Most people treat it like you would beef and that's not going to get it. It has to be prepared like wild game and pork.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I **** it real well. It taste more like beef that anything else that I can think of. It has a lot of Fat if its Fall bear but if you trim it well and cook in on fairly low heat, its great IMO. I usually smoke the back Hams and make roast and chops from the rest.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:13 PM

The bears I have taken have all fed real well in blueberry patches, and the sweetness is in the meat and it really is fantastic. I have had some real old boars as well, and while not great for steaks it makes some of the best sausage out there. Bear jerky and sausage is excellent, enough to make you real enjoy the animal on the table.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:00 PM

It is my fave big game meat, except maybe steaks from a young elk.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:49 PM

How do you guys smoke your Bear hams? That sounds really good. I have a little chief smoker. Do you have to brine them first?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:23 AM
DM

I've smoked blk. bear hams in a little cheif many times. I salted and peppered them, and smoked them useing alder/mesquite chips. Idon't use smoke continously, but instead let the meat slow cook,only useingjust enoughsmoke for some flavor.

I smoked them leaveing the smoker in the box for a bit higher temp, and checked the meat for internal temp with a probe.

I like it that way, as you can slice it for some good eating!

Drilling Man