Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Unicorn elk how did it happen? >

Unicorn elk how did it happen?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Unicorn elk how did it happen?

Old 12-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unicorn elk how did it happen?

Maybe he stayed on the milk bag a little late in life and ole mom kicked him one too many times in the head!!!!! Just kidding around, Merry x-mas everyone.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

This most likely is not the result of an injury in velvet. I've seen numerous antlers that have done some funky things resulting from velvet injuries but this is not one of them. An injury to the growing antler or the antler pedicle would not change the location of the pedicle. This is probably a defect that has been present since birth.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:16 AM

A friend of mine has a niece who killed a cow elk that has one spike antler growing out of the middle of the forehead. That it was a cow is unique in it's self but one horn in the middle of the forehead was a one in a million. I will see if i can get a pic and post it. She had the cow mounted.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:05 AM

Interesting how the horn comes out the forehead. My wife harvested a bull that had 6 points on one side, and one spike horn on the other. The good side had two small splits on two of the points. I figured it injured the horns while in velvet real early, because the good remaining antler had incredible mass. After processing the animal my butcher says he gave me back 406lbs. of meat. He said it was the biggest bull he's ever cut up body wise. Seen two other bulls from eastern nevada with deformed antlers taken. The hunt was real tough and people had to take what they could get.