Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How to clean and prepare a black bear >

How to clean and prepare a black bear

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How to clean and prepare a black bear

Old 11-09-2005, 10:46 AM

Default How to clean and prepare a black bear

OK, I love to hunt, but I'm sorry to say that I don't know how to field clean or prepare ablack bearfor the table. Can anyone one of my fellow hunters help me out here? I would be willing to make a rug, too, but I have a feeling that's beyond my scope of ability :]

As always, any advice is much appreciated, as I mostly hunt alone.

-WW
Old 11-09-2005, 12:02 PM

Default RE: How to clean and prepare a black bear

Cut it up like a deer or elk and cut ALL the fat off of it. Trust me there usually is A LOT of fat. If you dont trim all the fat off it will taste like sheeot. If you take good care of the meat it should taste great. Unless it's been chowing down on fish or garbage.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, field dress it just like a deer.

If you want a rug then cape him out up to his wrists, cut him off there leaving the paws alone. Lay him on his back and lay his front legs out like a T. You split his hide along the center line of the T. Dang I have pictures of my brother and I caping out my black bear from last spring. I will get them this evening from home and post them for you tomorrow..

Bear meat can be very good eating. Like the above posts. get rid of all the fat. I had my latest bear made into breakfast sausage..He eats excellent.

Rugs are spendy for the most part.. especially if you nail a big ole tank....be ready for a jaw dropper of a taxidermy bill!

Good luck I will do my best to find those capingpictures this evening..

Old 11-09-2005, 03:24 PM

I don't have a lot ofexperience in skinning bear, but do in eating it. Prepare the meat as gandilamont said. Some find that bear is a bit too greasy for thier tastes. I know that bear makes some of the best grind meat you can get. If you don't like the steaks, take in in to the butcher and get hamburger, sausage, links, etc. made from it. Or grind it yourself if you have the equipment.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:53 AM

They make great sausage, stay away from jerky if you want to keep your teeth. Buddy of mine did some of the roasts, somked them and cured them like you would a ham. They were actually quite good.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:31 AM

Thanks a bunch to all of you for the awesome advice. I've never skinned or prepared bear, but I have eaten it, and yes, it's quite good.

Shed, I'd look forward to those caping pics if you find them, to be sure. Trouthunter, Setter & Gandilamont, I thank you for your info!

Good hunting to us all.

-WW

Old 11-11-2005, 09:45 AM

That black bear is weird stuff. The meat will slip rite out of your hands its so greesy, but when you cook it up its just like elk.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:00 AM

Bear meat can be excellent. A young high country bear that has been eating blueberries is one of the best pieces of meat you could ever harvest in the hunting realm.

On the other hand, a bear that has been feeding off salmon for a few months will be most likely inedible.

Bear makes great burger and sausage. It is not nearly as dry as other wild game, so the grind has some fat to it.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 AM

What's the limit on black bear in Alaska? Here in VA it's one the whole season.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked for those pics, I know I have them around somewhere, but didnt manage to find them.

Alaska is exactly right. If your bear is eating the right feed....they TASTE great... and vice versa...

Quick Reply: How to clean and prepare a black bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.