Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 shot placement on elk

Old 09-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default 270 shot placement on elk

i am new to this hole game and was wondering do i try and hammer it throw it's shoulders or behind it. for whitetails you just take out both shoulder and your golden but elk are not whitetail. is a 150 grain bullet enough to go though both shoulders and drop one. thanks for the help.
Marshall
Old 09-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 270 shot placement on elk

Depends on what bullet you are shooting and how far off it is.

I have always tried to shoot behind the shoulder regardless of what animal I am shooting at. Unless the angle of the animal dictates taking out one shoulder. I have never purposly attempted to take out both shoulders on any animal. I hate to waste all of that sausage and ground meat by making it into a bloodshot mess from the bullet and shattered bone. I honestly do not see the point of purposly shooting for the shoulders. It doesn't kill them any quicker. So they run 50 yards, big deal. Nine times out of ten if they are woulded through the lungs/ heart they will run down hill any way only making your packing out job just a little bit easier. I could see it if they were close to the edge of a cliff.

Of the five I have taken with my .270 none have had both shoulders broken and only two were at such an angle that I had to take out one sholder. That farthest that one ran was about 75 yards straight down hill.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:21 AM

Mac,

I have no qualms about taking them through the shoulders, especially when using a medium velocity round with either Barnes X or Nosler Partitions in rifles 30-06 or stronger.
However,if that is where you want to shoot them, then I'd recommend a stronger cartridge than the 270 which a superb deer rifle but arguably falls.into the "just get by" category for elk.

You're right, these aren't white tail.

SearchSubjectsfor:

"270" and "puke" or
"elk" and "poll"

Most folks seem to conclude, "where there is smoke, theremust be some sort of fire." Decide for yourself.

Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

bigbulls & I are in agreement. I also shoot just behind the shoulder. My rifle is the ole 06 with 180 grains bullets.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

save the meat...behind the shoulder......that why a good scope and good practice are priceless......Good Hunting to ya!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:44 PM

Your not going to HAMMER anything through an elks shoulder w/ a 270 if you hit bones. If you insist on useing a 270 put it behind his shoulder and on the money...dead elk. Hit femur or other big bones and it gets iffy, mybe he drops, maybe he changes zip codes then dies of gang green in a couple months
Old 09-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Ive seen an elk run all day with both shoulders shot out. 300 mag. I think it was right through the main meat in front of the blade...both sides. Also seen one dropped in 40 yards with a double lung (270).... non the less always shoot right behind the shoulders. He won't go anywhere with a double lung shot and you will not waste any meat.

IMO