Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk >

300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

Old 08-08-2005, 08:36 PM

Default 300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

Well, it's pretty straight forward in the title. I want to knowwhich round,300 win mag or the 7mm Rem mag, isbetter for deer and elk,or possibly even moose or carribou (I originally was looking for a grizzley round, but lets be honest,I'm probably never going to huntgrizzley.) Which one is better for...

clean kill,
flatter trajectory,
cheaper (not a big factor, but helps),
recoil (I probably should mention that the 300 win mag rifle I'm looking at only weighs 6 1/2 pounds)

And I'm left handed, and have narrowed down my choice to 2 discountinued Weatherby left handed bolt action rifles, so please don't suggest others, as these were hard enough to find.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

To be perfectly honest you may as well flip a coin. The dead deer, elk, caribou, or moose will never know the difference.

The 7 will have slightly less recoil (maybe 3 or 4 foot pounds) with equal weight rifles, the trajectories will be about identical with similar weight bullets for caliber (180 - 30 cal & 160 - 7mm), penetration will be a wash also. There are tons of factory loads available for both as well as tons of bullets for the reloader for both. Price will be the same for either one with the same bullets.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 PM

I'm with bigbulls, flip a coin. I'm personally a 7mm Mag fan, but my dad owns a 300 Win Mag. I'd take either in the field anyday of the week for your purpose. My preference is the 7mm, but only because I've shot one forever and have a very good load. Overall, the 7mm will probably kick slightly less and the 160 gr 7mm will be slightly flatter than the 180 gr 300 Win, but be packing less punch.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:22 AM

I recently had the same dilema and chose to go with the 300 Win. It came down to the fact that I had an opportunity to shoot both (Rem 700's BDL's) and I just felt more comfortable shooting the the 300 Win. I have shot over a 100 rounds through the Rem 700 SPS and really like it so far. The recoil was suprising less than I thought it would be and shells are easy to find in a large range (I've seen 150-200 grain in almost every type of bullet). My buddy shoots and 7mm and really likes it and I think it is a very good gun as well. I would suggest trying to find the same guns and go to the range if possible. I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 AM

Well I would agree that it was a tie until you through Moose into the picture. If moose is an option I believe I would choose the 300 over the 7 mag for the simple reason that you can load 200 or 220 grain bullets in the 300 win. I would want a heavier bullet for bullwinkle. beyond that both are excellent cartridges.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM

wow i have never seen a moose that is bullet proof to a 7mag? my father shot his with a 7mag about 10 years ago, it woked just fine. 3 steps and fell over. maybe the shot placement was the differance? either gun is more than enough!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: manboy

wow i have never seen a moose that is bullet proof to a 7mag? my father shot his with a 7mag about 10 years ago, it woked just fine. 3 steps and fell over. maybe the shot placement was the differance? either gun is more than enough!
I simply stated that I would choose the 300 over the 7 mag due to the ability to use heavier bullets= greater kinetic energy= more shock...etc. No mention of 7 mag being less than adequate. The guy was asking for opinions. He obviously can't make up his mind. So I told him what I would do in his situation, what someone else would do might be totally different.

Guns are like women....never try to make sense of another man's decision on which one to take home.[8D]
Old 08-09-2005, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, though I'm no closer to making a decision.
Also, ShatoDavis and manboy,I hope my threatdoesn't start a quarrel between you two. I appreciate both your opinions. I was reading the 243 vs 30-30 thread through, and there's people cussing each other out over the better bullet. It's nice to know that these guys readily own guns, but are going up in fists over a difference of opinion.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:34 PM

no worries, Me and manboy just like to argue I think. We're bored and stir crazy waiting for september. Nothing better to do than argue with each other on the net.

When in doubt go by price. You can't go wrong with either caliber so buy the cheaper of the two.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

i think you guys area actually pretty lucky with regard to manboy. when you click off of the net, he magically disappears. i live in the same town as that guy, and we hunt together quite a bit. in other words, the fun never ends.

i just got off the phone with manboy, and hes freaking out over these whitetails he wants to chase in bow season. trying to come up with all of these little schemes to outsmart this little buck. i think hes gonna try a truckload of apples or something, not sure what he was rambling about. personally, i think the only chance in hell he has of killing a whitetail buck is if he falls out of the tree and breaks the deers neck on the way to the ground!

consider yourselves lucky, you just glimpse the poor life im forced to live all the time.

Quick Reply: 300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.