Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT - Missouri Breaks

Old 05-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Default MT - Missouri Breaks

Anybody have advice on the best 'breaks areas to put in for? 622, 621, 631, or 632? Odds based on last year's stats are best in 631, but I wonder if that's for a reason. Yeah, I know the odds are terrible in all of those areas, but somebody must get 'em!

Thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 04:15 PM

Default RE: MT - Missouri Breaks

Jones,
What are you applying for? archery elk? antelope? Rifle elk? Need more info. The area books lists the odds for all species from last year for each area.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Speedgoat

Jones,
What are you applying for? archery elk? antelope? Rifle elk? Need more info. The area books lists the odds for all species from last year for each area.
Oh, yeah. You mean you can't read my mind? Good thing, because it's not working today!

I am going for rifle bull elk.

Thanks for answering.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:43 PM

Old 05-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jonesy,
You might consider applying to the unit that has the most public land, thereby offering maximum opportunity and minimum chance at competing for tags with landowners who get preference points. I hunted out in 700 last year and ran into several landowners that had drawn several tags over the last couple of years ( I'm not sure if the landowner tags are counted in the totals, but would assume they are) 700 does have a lot of block management and I saw some good bulls although my lack of elk hunting experience contributed to the fact that I ate tag soup---could have shot some rags and cows 50yds off the road, but, or course, bull tags there are too precious to waste on that. It was my first year and I guess it was the supreme act of dumb luck I drew the tag in the first place. I'll draw another one this year though--bow tag this time. Yeah,baby. good luck
Old 05-15-2005, 10:14 PM

Jones,
all those areas hold elk, 631 is the smallest of the areas. I have not hunted in 631 or 632. I have hunted 621 although most of my experience has been on the south side of the river. 621 has a closed area where hunting is not allowed. this is by slippery ann, and when the pressure starts, elk congregate in that area, in particular during the bow season. I think you could tag a good bull in any of the areas though.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jones,
There are elk on both sides of the river,the slippery ann area is a good area(Small NO HUNTING ZONE) but lot's and lots of bow hunters,but you are rifle never been there during rifle season(I fish down that way alot).During May and June and July you see alot of elk down by the river,and the further down the river you go the better the country.
Good camping site's,great scenery and best of all the road is part gravel.
BBJ
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

One nice thing is that in 632 and 631 is that during the last two weeks of the season all the deer hunters are kept off of the CMR. The U.S. FWS ended rut hunting for muleys in those districts. So you can have a lot of elbow room for at least the last two weeks of the rifle season.

The challenge with November hunting in those districts is if there is rain and the ground has not frozen yet. In addition there is a lot of road hunting out there so, as always, burn up some shoe leather. I have been putting in there for 13 years and have yet to draw. So good luck. I have hunted 622 alot and it always seems the biggest bulls are on private land over there.

I live in Glasgow and 630, 631, 632 are basically out my back door and I have hunted out there alot for antelope and deer. That area has become more and more popular and is danger of being loved to death.

Nemont
Old 05-16-2005, 05:38 PM

Thanks guys. I'll tell you how I do. I have learned to not wait on pins and needles for low odds stuff.

You wouldn't like my close neighbor who drew in 2003 for 622. Saw a 6x6 on opening day, but just not what he went to the breaks to find. After that, nothing for weeks. So he hunts and hunts and "settles" for a 5x5 near season's end. Told me if he could do it again, he'd go for 631.

2004 he goes for 631, and you guessed it, he draws it!!! Two friggin years in a row! So last season, he takes a 6x6 on opening morning. Great guy, but man, I hate him. Know what I mean?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jones123,
I killed a cow in unit-632 five or six years ago? I liked hunting in the breaks. Travel time & weather are the reasons I apply in other units closer to home.
Talk to your neighbor about the travel time & road conditions? Rain will turn the roads into the worst gumbo you have ever seen. I recommend you carry at all times, two sets of heavy duty tire chains & a good tow chain.

Good luck in the draw,

WK

Quick Reply: MT - Missouri Breaks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.