Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Automotive
Honda Atv for food plots >

Honda Atv for food plots

Community
Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

Honda Atv for food plots

Old 11-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Honda Atv for food plots

I was picking up my 2001 Honda rubican after getting it repaired and while browsing at some new ATVs a Honda representive who happened to be in the store asked me what I was interested in. After telling him I use it for food plots he suggested that I look at the Forman 500 cc with a single shock because it would be better for hauling and pulling equipment. My buddy has a rancher with a single shock and he said my rubican rides much better. I am not concern about ride

I have been using this Honda since 2003 doing food plots and it is a tank

Although they had had no rubicans in the store if I were to get a new Honda would that Forman 4x4 be okay. It was listed for $6k. It’s at about $3 k cheaper then a rubican with all the bells and whistles

Last edited by 270sniper; 11-09-2018 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-09-2018, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing the Rubicon has independent suspension etc.

The independent suspension definitely gives a nicer ride and is certainly better for performance and fun on the trail. If you primarily use the machine as a utility quad, I'm sure the foreman would make you happy. I believe the foreman is marketed as their utility quad. So if that's your primary use, I would go for it.

And that is a significant price difference.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 11-09-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

"And gun?"
Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Jake, are you saying the independent suspension is less jarring to the gun than a solid axle? That would make more sense. I'm probably a year or 2 away from getting an ATV but am seriously considering a Honda. I can't seem to find hardly any used ones out here in CA which would appear to be a good sign.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK some better info for you

the rancher will ride smoother, as will rubican, but BOTH are geared a bunch higher, the foreman is honda 's WORK machine
and trust me when using an ATV to do food plots your woriking the crap out of ANY atv
IMO the Honda's are the BEST for food plots due to they have gear drive, NO belts, you can control the gear yiou want and keep it therem, NO AUTOP shifting, on there FOOT shift models
and that is what you want a FOOT shift foreman
stay away from the E shift models, they just are KNOWN to have more issue's and more parts to go bad
when they work they work great but when they don't, they are very frustrating

and if your looking for used one's, try and find a older one with dual shocks on the rear axle, I forget what yrs 2004-2006 I think, but NOT sure
the handled weight better on the rear and are proven TANKS and long lasting machines
just stay away from used atv's with snorkle's and well, LARGE tires
anything over a 26 inch tire on a honda that is PLANNING to be used for work is NOT what you want, taller tires alter gear ratio's and well, honda's DON"T have a LOT of HOP to start with, what makes then GREAT work machines is there lower gearing, NOT HP
take that lower gearing away, and well, you won't be all that happy on the power left to work with!
a 500 HONDA atv has about HALF the HP of most mpodern other brabd 500 cc atv's
(honda about 30 others about 50+)
but some HP is lost in the CVT systems before it hits the ground

independent suspensions will ALWAYS ride smoother than the single or dual rear axle set up on honda's
but there again MADE for work, NOT pleasure riding
when doing food plots, again its SUPER taxing on an atv, you want all the work built in potions over soft riding you can get!
over the past 20+ yrs I have done a good 100+ acres with MY honda atv
and seen many other brands FAIL doing same like work at my hunting camp, where we have about 15 atv's of mixed brands
Honda, # 1 in relaibilty
lats place in bell's and whisles however LOL
think OLD school 4 low 4x4 leaf spring like ride quality, almost tractor like gearing!
made for work and long lasting at it!

if buying an atv for working./making food plots I wouldn't even consider any other brand
BUT if trail riding was main game, I wouldn;t be buying a Honda! better ride and packaged out atv's out there for FUN!
Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent post with a lot of useful info. Just to pick your brain a little. I am considering an ATV that would be used for scouting, hunting and bringing deer and bear back to my truck on a cattle ranch. I may end up getting one of those ATV-specific carts as some of the bears get pretty heavy and I and I can't always get to them with a truck. So I guess that would factor in to deciding on a solid axle versus independent rear suspension. For me, probably the # 1 factor would be reliability and few to no repairs needed.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

if using a trailer, all IRS rear suspensions will have more SAG in them when you add a trailer to things, its by there design,a nd then you loose ground clearance as loads get heavier, a solid rear axle , will have less ground clearance to start with, but stays the same with a load
Both designs, handle trailers pretty well, , pending size of atv itself and well, load in the trailer and also keep in mind HOW heavy the trailer is empty
MOST atv's have a LOT more power to PULL a load that stop and control it, its very easy to have more weight behind you than you can safely control
on level ground, its amazing what a small atv can move, but add in a hill and watch how fast things can get scary

My small honda 400 foreman, (geared super low) I have towed over 4,000 lbs with countless times, I have even loaded over 1500 lbs ON IT, I have been pretty hard on this atv for 20 yrs and still runs like new

but when towing a heavy load, , say 1500-2000 lbs, at any hill, if I wanted to STOP mid hill, or have a turn , it can jack knife me if I am not REALLY thinking ahead on what I am doing

as for a recommendation for you, IMO the two most reliable atv brand out there are Honda #1 and well Yamaha,#2
the work side of honda's will be the foreman and then the honda rubicon
of the two there both very capable at hauling loads out of the woods, but again both are limited to what there brakes can control, more than them having the power to pull things behind them

from Yamaha, there wolverine and Grizzly line up is a great all round atv, more play than pure work, but due to they can be had in larger motors (550-700's) and IMO having the best CVT system out there
they do work well and offer more options and things for less $$$ than what honda offeres

IF where ever you go has wet slippery or muddy terrain, I'd make sure what ever atv you get has a locker, to PULL a trailer with a load on it safer!
Old 11-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

After reading all the above responses, I called the Honda dealer that I was dealing with and they will give me $2000 for a trade in. I told them I did not want the white or blue colored one they had in the showroom and that I prefer a green or cammo one. Hell, I only paid $4200 for it back in 2003. Again Thanks everyone
Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

so what model did you end up getting??
Old 11-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Did not get a call back from the dealer. I probably will get the Forman that was listed for 6k if the dealer locates one in green.

Last edited by 270sniper; 11-11-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.