Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Automotive
I need help with tires!! >

I need help with tires!!

Automotive No hunter is complete without a hunting rig. Find all your automotive needs here.

I need help with tires!!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default I need help with tires!!

I drive a 2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4X4. I am going to need to get new tires soon. I need to get all terrains due to the are I live and where I drive my truck. I want 10 ply tires. The size I have on it right now are 275/60R20s. I can't find any 10 ply in that size. Does anyone know a company that does? If not I am looking at going with a different size to get the 10 ply 275/65R20. Does anyone know of a great tire in this size that is not badly prices <$275 a tire. I would really like some help.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

why would you need 10plys on a 1500? I run 10's on my 3500 but its rated to 15000 lbs. 10 plys are not that much more puncture resistant than 6 ply, that's what I always ran on my 1500 dodge, and hauled many a full cord of wood on the 6 1/2' bed.
RR
Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

60 series sidewall is more "performance" oriented - as in on road performance. Moving to a 65 series might give you a very limited selection of 10-ply tires but I too cannot understand the logic. It's a half-ton truck not a dump truck. 10-ply tires will ride a lot harder than those P275/60-20R Wranglers so I recommend looking for a genuine LT (light truck tire). There will be a lot more selection out there and you will step up from the P (passenger) tires that came on the truck.

Manufacturers putting P tires on trucks (especially 4X4s) is soooo stupid. I know they do it for the cost but most times you see tires that have virtually no business anywhere other than pavement.

The stock tires on my GMC Sierra Z71 were Uniroyal Laredos. What a joke! I pulled up next to an old man who had more aggressive tires on his Mercury Grand Marquis. When I hit any mud I always needed to engage 4 wheel and use plenty of gas. I didn't dare try to go too far or bite off too much.

What sense does it make to equip a Z71 off road package truck with "car" tires????

My fix was new Cooper Discoverer ATPs. Although not a LT tire they were rated for a little more weight than the Uniroyals and I didn't want anything to do with a stiff wanted ride and rarely haul any real weight.

I think you might want to look at something like the Cooper tires but IDK of much in a 60-series from anyone.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i found there are plenty of nice tires in your size....

firestone destination, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 , Dick Cepek Trail Country or Fun Country, etc...

Just pick one.

Or go with these..........

http://www.mattracks.com/tracks/matt...m1-a2-sa-plus/

Last edited by uncle matt; 10-27-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sport Kings or BFG trailmasters have always served me well. I agree with Uncle Matt. Why a manufacturer puts highway tires on an off road vehicle is asinine. Spending $50,000+ on a vehicle and then another $2,000.00 on rubber is ridiculous.