Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

Gamo Hunter Pro

Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Gamo Hunter Pro

The Brother in-law is having problems with pigeons in his barns and asked if I could get rid of them. Being my Son loves to eat them (away with the army) and being the good brother in-law, I went out and bought a Game Hunter Pro 177 cal that can shoot at 1200 fps.

Last weekend I went into his equipment shed. I shot two already and lined up on the third. I shoot and the third bird flops off the beam. To my horror, I see a hole in the tin roof behind where the bird was from the pellet . Not good - so I cease shooting immediately.

I am shooting Crossman pellets. Is there another pellet that will not penetrate the roof or do I need to maybe look at an air rifle less powerful, maybe under 500 fps and possibly 22 cal?

Any experiences, info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Muskyhunter1; 04-18-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pigeon's

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pigeo...Dpigeon%2Btrap

I use a GAMO Hunter with some soft lead pellets that date back to my youth. Even these might damage to metal roof. I'd suggest trapping them with some shelled corn. Shoot the ones you see outside.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

I doubt you would do any better with .22 my ruger will bury a pellet 3/8" into a 2x4 at 30 yards it's shooting 1050fps across the chrony (i know, but I love shooting stuff across the chrony!) Never have been able to get mine to pick up the .177 pellets so I'm not sure how fast it's shooting.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 AM
Fork Horn

I am thinking I am pouched too. I have another old barn I hunt where the roof is mostly wood and it just doesn't seem to go thru. Must be a heavier gauge steel as well. I am afraid a weaker rifle (under 500 fps) might just wound the birds.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 PM
Spike

i use crossbow.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Cross bow would work but that could get pretty expensive with losing bolts and I am sure they would damage to roof with larger holes and dents. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Not meaning to be a know it all but it's a confined space, take better angles on the shot? Just a thought... consider looking at much softer lead pellets. a 7.9 gr Crossman Hollow Point or other lesser hollow point might be in order. Choose the lowest weight you can get in a hollow point. Heavier pellets, in theory, will drive further.

REM7600