Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

Musty smelling cabin!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Spike

Default Musty smelling cabin!

Just bought a new hunting cabin sight unseen. But when I get there I notice the cabin has a sharp musty smell. Is this something that can be stopped simply be installing an anti mold air purifier like one of these https://rockymountainairpurifiers.co...d-air-purifier or do you think a musty smell can signify a more serious problem? What should I do first??

Second. Can this moldy smelling air possibly be harmful at all?
Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Spike

I believe mold can be potentially harmful to your health and the building's integrity. I believe the air purifier just helps removes the mold in the air but doesn't actually fix the problem. You'd probably need to get an expert to try and find and get rid of the mold.

From the CDC website:
Mold exposure does not always present a health problem indoors. However some people are sensitive to molds. These people may experience symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation when exposed to molds. Some people may have more severe reactions to molds. Severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings, such as farmers working around moldy hay. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Immunocompromised persons and persons with chronic lung diseases like COPD are at increased risk for opportunistic infections and may develop fungal infections in their lungs.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is not at all unusual for a cabin to have a musty smell it is has been closed up and not used for while and no fresh air has circulated in the cabin. Unless you see mold you don't know if you have a mold problem. Dampness in an unheated building gets into mattresses, furniture etc causing a musty smell. It may be as simple a fix as opening all the windows for a day or so and taking the stuffed furniture and mattresses outside to air out, or replace them, if you don't replace them spray them with Febreze, you can also get Febreze to spray the air with to freshen it. Don't jump to the conclusion you have a mold problem, what you experienced is not unusual. If you are worried about mold you can have someone come out and test the air inside the cabin for mold spores. Some people if they can afford it leave a w heat on in the cabin when they are absent. You could sit a few containers of desiccant around the cabin when you leave each time. You could also talk to someone in the building trades about how you could add some kind of ventilation to the cabin to help with the problem. I am sure there are others here who have dealt with the same thing you are.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-16-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Happens every year at deer camp, even the blinds. Just get there and open all the windows place a box fan at one door and blow air inside. Fire up the wood furnace and get it's fan to blowing hot air and soon it is fine inside. Go around to all the deer blinds and open all their windows. That never does get fully fine till about time to leave but then there is no fan to help air the place out.

Al
Old 08-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Andreashaeffer
Just bought a new hunting cabin sight unseen. But when I get there I notice the cabin has a sharp musty smell. Is this something that can be stopped simply be installing an anti mold air purifier like one of these https://rockymountainairpurifiers.co...d-air-purifier or do you think a musty smell can signify a more serious problem? What should I do first??

Second. Can this moldy smelling air possibly be harmful at all?
Take a skirt bottle and put 50/50 White Vinegar to Water, and spray everything down lightly.

It will kill the musty smell as well a disinfect every thing.