HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tax breaks?? Starting a tree farm?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2002, 01:44 PM
mac12

Default RE: Tax breaks?? Starting a tree farm?

do you itemize on your federal tax return? if you do, then you should be able to deduct the taxes when you file your federal tax return. depending upon your tax rate, your tax benefit will vary. you may also want to check around as to what others that own land in that area are paying per acre, or dollar value of their property. as far as using the place as a tree farm, it would be more likely classified as a hobby farm. The determining test will be whether it is run for a profit motive, or not. your cpa and the irs is going to see if you have reported any income off of it. if i remember correctly you have to show a profit in one out of every 5 years, that is after depreciating any assets you might have tied to it, or expenses you may incur with the property, assuming you have it set up as a business. I do not know how your land is set up, so it is hard to make too many recommendations. my guess since you are on a hunting bulletin board you use it as a place to deer hunt, and that is its primary purpose. if you decide to plant the 14 acres in trees, what do you plan on doing with them, selling them as nursery stock, or waiting on them to produce enough timber to sell as logs. and what are your plans with the remaining 35 acres, are you planning on selling the timber off of it, or do you plan on leaving them alone. do you recieve any income off of it now, or do you get to call it yours and continue to pay taxes on it as long as you own it. not trying to deter you, just some stuff your accountant might ask about it. good luck, i know how you feel about the taxes, i don't like them either.