HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Goex Clearshot, / Pinnacle Powder
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Tahquamenon
Typical Buck

Default RE: Goex Clearshot, / Pinnacle Powder

I shot a pound of APP clean shot and really thought is was anemic as compared to BP. Was not that "clean" either.

I've seen some chatter about Goex Pinnacle, but I don't know if it's actually something new or just something re-branded?
If the flash temperature for Goex Pinnacle is 650 degrees Fahrenheit as Slamfire says, that's not that much lower than other substitute powders.

Regarding Black Mag'3:
My understanding is that the flash point temp for BM'3 is down around 380-400 degrees F. Not too far from real BP.
All I know is the ignition of BM'3 is superb, along with all other aspects of the powder. I'm working on my 3rd pound of BM'3 and have yet to find anything negative about it. It's better than any synthetic I've ever used and I've used them all save this new Goex Pinnacle.

Certainly with any higher charges you need to be cognizant of pressures regardless of what powder you use.

And as stated again for those that do not already know. "Do not exceed the loading data specific for your rifle."

MagKor states 120gr Maximum Black Mag'3 in rifles designed for magnum or 150gr BP loads. That is a 20% reduction.

777 loads are recommended by Hodgdon for a 15% reduction or 127.5gr for a "Magnum" load down from 150gr BP rifles.

In the Omega, 120gr BM'3 & a 300gr Hornady SST is not nearly as violent of recoil as that with the same load of 777. I've no clue of the velocity but it's fast with both and I think faster with BM'3. The accuracy I get with 777 and this load combination is not as good as BM'3. I'm getting just over 2" groups/100 yards with BM'3. With 777, it's right about 3".

It's on my list to buy a Chronometer to begin documenting velocities.