HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks
Old 12-25-2004, 05:33 PM
El Gringo

Default RE: Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

I've always liked a high shoulder (or as some call it, point-of-the shoulder) shots to drop a deer. I honestly don't ever recall one getting up and running after the shot.

This particular shot, while often breaking both front shoulders, I suspect also brings the spinal column into play and that's why the knock-down power seems so great. The animal, though still alive when it hits the ground, is usually so shocked that it bleeds to death before it can regain its feet. JMHO.

Unfortunately, this shot also destroys some shoulder meat, and may even ruin some backstrap if the bullet shatters.

I've also killed deer in their tracks with a shot at the base of the neck (where it merges with the shoulders) but do not advise this shot unless one is comfortable that he can make it.

Lung shots, while deadly, often allow the animal to run before his lungs fill with blood and he finally drops. Unfortunately, with a white-tail being able to cover 100 yds in less than about 4 seconds, you'll be faced with tracking the animal. Not a problem in some places, but one heck of a task in others.

El Gringo