HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Using a deer decoy during the rut...
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 PM
CLOUD 9, MN
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using a deer decoy during the rut...

I've had 6 outing with my decoy in two years. 2 times I saw nothing. The other 4 days are probablly some of the most memorable days I've had bowhunting. I'm using a Flambeau Redi-Doe (very realistic coloring for the rut). I put it out where it can be easily seen about 15 to 18 yards in front of me. I position it looking away from me. The deer have always approached it from behind or quartering up from behind. I put doe in heat scent on the tail and a felt wick under the tail.

I think I've had 28 deer see the decoy. All came into shot range! Many first saw the decoy from 60 yards away and trotted right in. Adult does are the most causious. Every buck (about 8 of the 28) came with in 3 yards of the decoy and most touched it while smelling the tail.

One thing is amazing, when deer see a decoy and are approaching, you could have hot pink camo, smoke a cigar and do jumping jacks in your stand! Its amazing, they focus on the decoy and drop some of their defenses.

All the deer that have approached my decoy have stayed in shot range for at least 3 minutes and some have stayed for an hour and a half.

Remember I've only hunted with it 6 times. The two fabulous days were;

1 - last year when I had a 14 pointer walk right up behind it, check it out for 5 minutes before absolutley crushing it, flinging it 20 feet with its horns and then walking away.

2 - this year a week ago, I had several groups of does show up and get into shot range and leave. Then a buck and doe see it from 40 yards and immedaitly the buck puts its nose down low and trots right up behind the decoy. It smelled it for 30 seconds and then MOUNTED MY DECOY. I could't beleive it! I quickly grabbed my video recorded and got that buck mounting the decoy 3 more times before the decoy fell over, and the buck just walked away!

MAN.......I MUST HAVE A SEXY DECOY !!!

Yeah.......I hunt with decoys!