HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lyman or traditions??
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 12:01 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lyman or traditions??

I have a Tradition's Hawkin Woodsman... in .50 caliber with the 1-66 twist (which is no longer made I believe) and it is a great looking and great shooting rifle without a doubt. But.... I think the Lyman Trade Rifle is a better made rifle. I have read some reports of the Lyman Trade rifle and they are excellent shooters. The Lyman Deerstalker I would not get too concerned about when I had a Trade Rifle to choose from.

One point I will give to Traditions is they have a good customer service. I only had to use them once for a very minor thing, but they were right there. I have never heard about the customer service for Lyman so I will not comment. The Cabela's Hawkins is the same as the Lyman Trade rifle for the most part.

Since your set on a sidelock which is fine, you might want to consider a .54 caliber over a .50 caliber. The reason is the rifle is not as heavy, and the roundball from a .54 is an excellent hunting and target shooting projectile. The .54 caliber is much preferred for big game such as elk or moose over the .50 caliber in sidelock. Also they have a little more knock down at longer ranges.....