HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 yard Sight In for a 300 Win Mag
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Fredrmef

Default RE: 300 yard Sight In for a 300 Win Mag

Okay, Mauser I get your drift. I went Elk Hunting Last year and I put over 100 rounds through my 270 and over 50 through my 300 win mag last year. Both Sighted in to be dead accurate at 200 yards due to the ballistics chart that Federal provided me. I shot both an Elk and a Mule Deer at about 250 yards offhand with one shot shot. The Elk Travelled for a long way on a double lung shot that peirced his shoulder and the Muley dropped like a rock. I understand fully practice practice practice, I have no problem with that but I want to get damn accurate at a range that is fully controlled and then I will take the 300 out to the field and get some shots off at long distance. At $2.20 a round for this ammo, I am not going to waste tons of it.

Secondly, I am hunting ELK here, the heart is the size of a shoebox we are not talking a pinhole size target here... If I am going to even consider a shot at 500 yards we are talking about using a rest and I better have a ton of time on my hands and the conditions had better be damn perfect.

I still need the Ballistics question answered whether I am practicing at a 300 yard range or not so i can tape it to the rifle, and be ready to make an informed decision at any range.

Kevin